Mystique: Human

You'd been surprised when Professor Xavier had let you get off early.
"Can you pick up more of that tea you got last time." He smiles and you sigh nodding; of course he'd let you off to run errands; you're not surprised being the art teacher meant the kids had the option to take your class at certain times; most preferred in the morning so you were usually free by lunchtime.
You like to think you look normal; most of the students have invisible mutations and while you do in a way you prefer not to be too open about your true powers.

You'd been fifteen when they'd developed fully; your gift; your ability to control blood. You'd gotten into a fight; the other person leaving with you a bloody nose and an anger fuelled by pain; the most you can remember is the rage bubbling in your chest and then the blood dripping from your nose took shape and hit into their skin like bullets leaving massive welts. You were avoided after that; the rumors saying you'd pull a knife and hit them with it. Your parents make it known that you'd apparently turned red; looking like you were dripping in blood like something out of Carrie.
You're lost in your thoughts when you bump into a woman who is also getting the same calming earl gray tea.
"There's one left."

"You take it." You assure her and she smiles.
"Thank you. Are you sure?"
"My boss can deal without it for a few days." You feel the box pushed into your hands. She smiles again and you shake your head trying to give it back to her.
"I can't let you get in trouble with your boss; if you got fired because of me it would be awful."
"He won't fire me over that; the kids care about me too much."
"Kids?" You can see she regrets saying something and you nod.
"I'm an art teacher."
"Oh that's wonderful."
"Yes; thank you for the tea; you really don't have to.. Oh here, maybe we could get coffee or a drink, as a thank you." You offer her your phone number; which is mostly selfish but you can't help flushing slightly when she takes it grinning and blushing as well.

"Thank you; I'll see you around then.."
"I'm; Y/N; see you around." You flush more having almost given out your title in the X-men; you knew it was bad enough you were talking so fondly to a human but to almost out yourself would have been a nightmare.
When you get back hesitating with the box of tea until Charles grabs it grinning slightly.
"What?"
"Nothing; did you have a good time out?"
"Yes I did." You huff and he grins more.
"I'll let you take a Friday off then?"
"No we have that museum trip; I want to look at the art..."
"You can come but not to be an official part of us." You smile in thanks, surprised when your phone lights up with a text message.

-It's Raven, the one in the tea shop- You grin and manage to spend two more hours texting back and forth. This continues for the next few days and you manage to meet up for coffee once but she ends up leaving early promising to meet up again. You learn she's the same age as you; she works for someone in management who has ties to the government. She's been all over Europe and some of Asia, a fact you're incredibly jealous of; and that she'd be more than happy to tour the museum with you on Friday in place of just a coffee. You promise her lunch and she sends a laughing emoji. You almost send a heart back but stop yourself; you've only known her for a few weeks but you can't help but be drawn to her. You turn over in your bed feeling a sinking feeling at the prospect of being with a human and having to hide your life from her.

Friday arrives; Charles make a point of starting the tour off in the historical part of the museum leaving you to meet up with Raven in the art section; you realize this means you'll probably overlap with everyone at some point but for now you're enjoying walking around and explaining the art to Raven who's smiling the more you're talking and you take it to mean she's more interested in you than the painting.

"We can grab lunch in the cafe if you want." She grins and you turn away surprised when she grabs your hand. You can hear her blood moving around; you know your powers were improved by touch and you try to fight the impulse to listen to her heartbeat; instead relieved when you sit down and grin at her over the menu. You push the paper away that someone had left and can see her frowning. You scan the page unsure what she's bothered over and look up asking her.
"Those mutants." She hums slightly and you finally realize the picture is of Mystique and Magneto, they'd help a mutant gathering in central park the other day.
"What about them?" You're relieved your voice doesn't shake. She seems surprised and frowns.
"Well I mean look at them." You can hear the scorn in her voice and you scowl at her.

"There's nothing wrong with them?" She seems caught off guard but her face softens a little.
"You don't think mutant's are bad?"
"No, why would I; they're people just the same. They just have extra abilities."
"Wouldn't that bother you; someone can shapeshift; you'd never know what they'd look like or who they could be!" She seems to think this has trumped any argument and you chuckle a little.
"Appearance wouldn't matter to me; besides can you imagine being with someone who could read your mind.." She bristles and you wonder if she's going to be upset with you badmouthing the wonderful professor X.
"You'd never be able to surprise them; any type of present instantly ruined!" She laughs nodding at you and you grin folding the paper as you finish your lunch.

"That was very nice; even the little debate." She grins and you shake your head.
"That wasn't a debate; I really don't think-" You're about to continue but she freezes and you turn trying to push down the terror as Charles leads the group towards the cafe.
"Did you enjoy yourself?" He grins and you're about to say something but then Raven hisses his name and you look confused at her.
"Oh you don't know."

"Y/N; meet Mystique. Mystique; meet our new art teacher." he seems far too delighted with himself about his exposing both of you to the other but you just stare at Raven, now Mystique.
"So appearance does matter then?" She's tense and your face flushes.
"Blue's my favourite colour." You try to explain but she just laughs, you know Charles has shared your thoughts with her and you're partially grateful as you know she won't misinterpretation your thoughts but you're mostly embarrassed as all that's been cycling through your brain is variation of the phrases "Pretty blue girl" and "oh thank god she's like me"