The Car Ride

"Wake up, they're gonna be here in twenty minutes."

You spent the night at Bucky's since Nat and Steve were coming early and you aren't a morning person. He knew you would sleep through your alarm and make everyone late.

"Give me five more minutes," you groaned.

"You said that ten minutes ago."

He pulled the blanket off of you. It took you a second to open your eyes and the smell of coffee from the kitchen encouraged you to get up. Bucky sat next to you, and the two of you enjoyed your drinks in silence.

"Are you nervous at all?" He asked.

"I'm excited to be going, but then I remember what we're doing and it freaks me out a little bit."

"I get that, I think we'll be alright though. If at any point we want to stop, I'll just tell them the truth and deal with it."

"You won't have to do that. We got this."

You gave him a reassuring smile which he returned. After finishing the coffee, you quickly showered and brushed your teeth. Right after you finished getting ready, Steve texted Bucky that him and Nat were outside waiting.

Butterflies filled your stomach as you and Bucky got into the elevator. He linked your hands together before walking outside. They were pulled up to the curb, and when they saw you and Bucky, their jaws dropped. Bucky put the suitcases in the trunk while Steve and Nat gave you hugs.

"Wow, I was not expecting this," Nat laughed.

"Me either. Why didn't you guys tell us?"

"We wanted it to be a surprise. It's all still new," you said.

He came up and slid his arm around your waist and you mirrored his action.

"You guys do look cute together," Steve complimented.

You blushed and Bucky smiled, "Thanks Steve."

Steve got into the driver's seat and you and Bucky slid into the back. They were bench seats, so he sat in the middle to be closer to you. He brought a book to read, and you downloaded a few shows and movies to watch on your phone.

"So how did all of this start?" Nat asked as Steve merged onto the highway.

You gave Bucky a look that said I got this. "I went on a date last month and Bucky came over after. He was upset for some reason and I couldn't figure out why. Then he told me he was jealous because he has feelings for me, and I realized I felt the same."

"I've always thought you guys would make a good couple. I'm glad you guys finally realized it too," Steve said.

"So am I," Bucky squeezed your hand even though they couldn't see.

"I'm really happy you're coming with us. This is going to be so fun," Nat turned and smiled at you.

"Me too. It's always nice getting to see you and Steve, and I've never been to New York before."

"I'm sure Steve will love showing you every alley he got beat up in where I had to save his ass," Bucky joked. Everyone laughed when Steve flipped him off.

"I could still throw some punches for a 90 pound ashmatic kid."

"I bet you could babe," Nat teased.

It became quiet in the car aside from Nat's music playing softly. Bucky took his book out and you decided to watch a movie.

- - - -

You woke up when you felt the car stop. At some point during the movie you fell asleep, and you were currently laying on Bucky's shoulder. He was still reading his book, but he put it down when he saw you were awake. You quickly sat back up, feeling embarrassed.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep on you like that. You should've told me to move."

"It's alright, you looked comfortable," he shrugged.

"If anyone needs to use the bathroom, you better go now. We only have about an hour left and I don't want to have to stop again," Steve said.

You and Bucky went into the gas station for a bathroom break and then grabbed some snacks. Bucky got some donuts and water, and you got more coffee and a bag of chips.

"Chips? At ten in the morning?" Bucky asked.

"Don't judge me, it's a road trip."

Once everyone was back in the car, you asked Bucky if he wanted to watch something with you. He said yes and put one of the headphones in his ear while you pulled up the show you were currently watching together. You were sitting close together, his leg and arm were pressed against you, but you didn't mind.

- - - -

Steve pulled into the hotel about an hour later. It was a nice one not too far from the city, and the worker said both rooms had a great view. Luckily the rooms were right across the hall from each other. After checking in, everyone agreed to meet back in the lobby in 20 to head into the city for brunch.

You stood behind Bucky while he opened the door. He barely made it inside when he froze.

"What is it?"

"Shut the door."

After doing that, you saw what the problem was.

There was only one bed.

"Why aren't there two? When Steve and Nat showed me the room when we booked everything, there were two," Bucky was slightly panicking.

"They probably upgraded when you told them you're bringing someone. I mean, they do think we're a couple, and couples share beds on vacations."

"Well, I guess I'm sleeping on the floor this week."

"I'm not making you do that, and how do you think that'll make us look if they saw? We're adults, we can share a bed and not make it weird."

"Are you sure? I don't want to make you uncomfortable."

"I'm sure."

He didn't say anything else and you both started unpacking your suitcases. Twenty minutes later, everyone met down in the lobby to start the first official day of the trip.