Failure and Shortcuts

Waking up at your desk was not a new experience for you, working though long nights were just part of your routine by now. What was different about this night was the nightmares that came along and ruined what would of been a restful night, as restful as sleeping at a desk could be. It was all that man's fault, you almost got rid of the nightmares but then he had to come along and ruin it.

        Although, you almost felt pity for him, it didn't look like he was that well off. If you didn't have bills to pay, you probably would have given him some change. Yet, those nicknames he called you didn't really help his case. Just thinking about it makes your blood boil, you might even go to the police just to spite him. You remember the alleyway man's face almost perfectly, the police would have him in jail in no time.  

        Picking off the pencil shavings from your face, you looked down at your blueprints. A drawn male face looking back up to you. Late last night you decided that to celebrate not dying to the alleyway man that you would take inspiration from the said male, and make your machine look more human. It took a little extra work, but if this was to be your master piece, it should look the part. The nose was probably the hardest to draw. No matter how much you redrew it, you just couldn't get the the right size. Hopefully you got it right this time, if not, you supposed that it wouldn't need a nose. You let out a small chuckle at the thought of the copper man without a nose.

      Standing up from your desk, you walked over to where all the parts were located.  The the arms and legs were already attached to the torso, all that was needed was the heart and the head. Picking up the heart, you could see the small aslaudian gear. Its dark grey color reflecting the morning light, rotating it slightly, you could see how the other gears moved along with it. What a comforting sight, to see all your plans and hard work coming together. Setting the heart down, you move to finish the head. Just thinking about what he will look like when he is finished brings a smile to your face.

~~~~~~~~~~

        Cleaning off the remits of metal off you desk, you brush through the head's copper shaded hair with your fingers. You were luckily able to find an old wig in a box in your closest, you had no idea why you had a shoulder length copper wig but who are you to question it. It was annoying to attach the wig at first, but it only took about ten minutes, so it could of been worse. Time was a valuable thing in this place, and wasting it shouldn't be taken lightly.

        Placing the head on the body was probably the most satisfying thing you ever done. Moving the strands of hair that fell over the mechanical man's closed eyes, you could see the gears and cogs that were left open to the elements in his cheeks. What really made you proud was the nose, it turned out better then expected. Which was a very nice surprise.

        You have to question yourself of why you made him so pretty, it wouldn't be like he would care or anything. At least you don't think he will care, all the other ones never cared. But you did make a lot of changes compared to the others. So you had no idea how he would react to anything, much less how he would react to the concept of beauty.

        Now to complete the last step, his heart. Opening up his chest, all the gears, cogs, wires, nuts, and bolts shine in the light of day. It was a beautiful sight to behold. Inserting the metal heart into the cavity of the chest, and connecting the appropriate wires brought the machine to life. You closed his chest and step back.

         He opened up his bright green eyes and reached his hand out toward you. "Master?" With that one word said, he went lifeless, and your hope died. 

        "NO! No no no no." You gasp as you went to the mechanical man. You lifted up his face to see if the was any sign of life, yet, the was nothing. Sinking down to the floor, you held you legs up do your chest. How did it go wrong? Tears threated to fall from your eyes. Just like everything else in your life, this was a complete failure, you were a failure. You really couldn't do anything right, could you?

        "I can't think like this anymore." You mumbled to yourself. Pushing those thoughts out of your head for another time, you stood up. The is no shame in trying again you tell yourself. Going back to the blueprints, you examine them, hoping that something will show you where you went wrong. 

         Could it be that he didn't have enough power? You were sure that his heart would be able to supply him with at least enough to speak, but maybe he needed more. Shortcuts were never something that you liked to do, but the are sometimes a place and a time that needs them. And you believed now is one of those times. 

        A certain thing on the blueprints stood out, Stone Attachment Communicator. It took a good amount of power and it only dampens attachments. One would have to wonder why a machine would need something to dampen attachment, you didn't even realize a machine could form attachments. Taking it out shouldn't cause any problems, at the very least, one might have to deal with him getting attach to a teddy bear or something. 

        With a new hope, you walked over to your master piece. Going to the back of the body, you move the copper colored hair out of the way and open up a small space in the neck where the Communicator was. Taking it out, you could already feel him comeback to life. Letting out a small yay, you moved in front of the handsome machine.

        His green eyes opened again to show brilliant and curious green eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Authors Note

        Second chapter is finished. Sorry that it is so short, the next one is probably going to be a lot longer. Have a wonderful day!