The Power in a Name

"Hello there, I am the person who made you. You can call me Y/N." You say as you softly approach him. The is no telling how he would react to you. Sure you had experiences with other machines of this type, but nothing as advance as him. He is at a whole new level, to your knowledge, the is nothing else like him in the world.

The copper man looks around from the upright table he was on, you blush slightly due to the chaotic state that the room was in. The was one strap around his stomach to keep him from falling down, but other then that the was nothing keeping him restrained. You go to release the strap, but stopped once his hand touched yours.

"Why am I alive?" He asked in an uncertain tone, like he was afraid to ask.

You looked up to him, you were surprised that he would ask that question so soon. The truth was, you didn't know why you made him. "Only you can answer that question, and it is okay if you can't answer now. Someday you will figure it out." Hopefully that will keep him satisfied. You didn't think that his first question would be so thought provoking. You thought it might of been why was the sky blue, or why pugs look so cute and ugly at the same time.

He paused for a moment, like he was thinking about what he would possibly figure out in the future. With an adoring look, he spoke. "Oh, okay Master. Thank you for creating me, I am forever in your debt."

"Wow there buddy, you don't have to call me master. Just call me by my name, and don't worry about being in anyone's debt. You are welcome for making you but it gives me no hold over you." You helped him down from the table as you said that. It was a little tough since he was so heavy, being made out of metal and all that.

He had a little trouble with his balance, but soon adjusted enough that you didn't have to hold him up anymore. You didn't think someone made out of cold metal could be so cute, with his arms out in front of him to keep him from falling over, it made him look like a newborn fawn. Now that you think about it, he kind of is like a newborn fawn. "Be very careful now, you are not use to your legs yet. Take small steps, don't push yourself." You added.

He seemly took your advice, taking small steps around the small room. Looking amazed at each new thing that he came across, a small wooden dog on your desk peaking his attention. He picked it up as he requested the name of the wooden figure.

"It has been awhile since I have noticed that old toy." You smile at the distance memories of the childish joys that it brought. "If my memory serves me right, its name is Elek. A name a friend picked out when they gave it to me." The smile you had before went away at the thought of them. An ugly feeling came up inside you once you remembered what they did. Shaking off the the thought, you turned your attention back to the mechanical man.

He looked to you, then to the small wooden figure. He definitely seemed taken with the old toy. "You can have it if you wish, it doesn't mean that much to me. It can be the first thing that you own, you seem to really like it." The truth was that it meant a lot to you, it helped you though a lot. Just like the person who gave it to you helped, but now, all it brought to you was a reminder of them. It helped you no more, but maybe it could help him.

"I don't know what to say, Master. I couldn't possibly take something of yours, even if it means nothing to you." You were sure if he had the ability to, he would be crying right now.

"You don't have to say anything, it is a gift. And you don't have to call me master, like I said, my name is just fine."

"You are right. I don't have to. Thank you for the gift, I will treasure it for all of eternity, Master."

You sigh in disappointment, he really isn't giving up on that master thing, is he? It isn't the worst thing you have been called, so you will let it slide for now. Hopefully one day he will be use your actual name. Speaking of names, he didn't have one. It was just like you to forget something like that, at least now he will be able to pick for himself.

"That reminds me, I didn't really pick out a name for you. So you can pick anything you want. I have some baby name books over on that self over there, if you want to read through some of them." Naming things, much less people, was never something you were good at. Whatever he comes up with you are sure it will be ten times better then what you would of named him.

"A name? Could I be called Y/N? I like that name, it is very pretty" He said with his head to the side, he is just too adorable.

Feeling the blush that was climbing up you neck, you quickly respond. "Maybe not that name." You finished up your response with an awkward laugh. You really hoped he wouldn't notice your red face, or if he did, you hope that he just doesn't know what it meant.

"Okay, Master. Then how about Elek!" It looked like he was very excited about the name, so excited that you don't know if you had the strength to tell him no again.

It was better then giving him your name. Sure it stung a little bit, but you couldn't tell him no, not with that cute face. "Sure, that is a wonderful name, Elek."

"Oh thank you, Master!" He said as he gave you a bone crushing hug. The coldness of his skin making you shiver slightly.

"Don't mention it, everyone has to have a name."

You let him hug you for a little bit longer since it didn't seem like he would be letting you go anytime soon. You finally felt him let go of the much longer then needed hug. He looked at you very closely, so close that you could see the sliver bolts in his face. It looked like he was deciding something. You had the urge to ask but settled on that if he wanted to tell you, he would.

"Now, lets get you out of this stuffy workshop. I have some tests for you out in the living room, they are nothing big or anything. They are just to make sure everything is working properly." You take his hand and lead him to the living room, it was always one of the neater rooms in your small house. You always try to make it as cozy and welcoming as you can, even though you never have anyone over.

You sat Elek down at coffee table in the middle of the room, you asked him to complete the puzzle laid out. You took out your pocket watch, and started timing him. It didn't look like they would be any trouble for him, seeing how he already had all the pieces sorted out. He truly will be amazing, a true leap of technology. You just hope they don't find out about him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Author's Note

I know I said that this chapter was probably going to be longer, but it just didn't feel right. I am really sorry, so maybe next chapter. Elek is just a little puppy, his character design is one of my favorites. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my story! I can't express how much it means to me, have a wonderful day!