Leg Day

You were right about Elek not having trouble with those tests, he passed all of them with flying colors. The only ones left were the emotional gauge tests, those will be the ones that will truly prove whether you succeed or failed at your goal. You were saving those for another day though, you didn't want to overload him with tests.

You finished up putting everything away and return to Elek. It looked like he didn't move an inch. "You can move around if you want to, explore the house and all. We are all done here, the is a garden out in the back if you want to take a look at that. I need to do some work, so I won't be able to come with you." You remarked to the young man. You didn't have much in the small garden, just some easy to take care of flowers with a stone bench. it was simple but very peaceful. One might not even notice they were in the middle of the city when in the garden, you were beyond a doubt lucky when you found this place. The rent was a little much at times, but nothing you couldn't handle. It just meant that sometimes you had to skip a meal or pull some extra jobs here or there, nothing too bad.

"Only if it is alright with you, Master. I don't care where I am as long as I am near you." That is sweet of him to say, it was a little concerning of how fast he seemed to already form an attachment to you. But you supposed it did make sense, he hasn't seen anyone else but you. Plus, you did create him with the goal of him having emotions, it only made sense.

"Of course it is okay with me, I was the one to suggest it. Just make sure you don't go out the gate, its lock is broken so I can never get it to close all the way. The door to the back yard is in the Kitchen, though hallway and to the left." Sometime you really need to fix that gate.

Elek nodded his head, he started to head to the garden but then quickly turned around and hugged you. Whispering a thank you in your ear, letting go, he disappeared in the hallway. The hug was a surprised, but not a bad one.

You began to head to your workshop to fix a mechanical leg, from what the man told you, it kept on locking in on him whenever he walked. Your guess is that some of the wires got cut, that is normally the issue with this model. It would be troublesome to fix, but the pay would be worth it. You might even get some new books if he gave you a tip, or maybe some new shoes. Yours did have a couple of small holes in them.

Opening the door to your messy workshop, you see the strap that was holding Elek up to the table on the floor. You picked it up and put it on your desk. Setting the leg out on the work table, you began taking it apart. This was going to take a long time, Sterling models always do. You sometimes wonder why you even work on them, they are always so annoying to work on. The temptation just to ban them all together from your shop was strong, but the need to eat was stronger. You would be out of a job if you did ban them, since Sterling Technology was the whole market. Sure the were some others out their, but they could never compete with Sterling.

Lucian Sterling did a very good job at getting rid of the competition. One would almost admire him for that, if he actually did it though legal means. Even if he did do it by legal means, it still would of been scummy, but at least it wouldn't be murder or blackmail. You have do have to admit, the new airships that they released were beautiful. What you would give to take a look at those engines, they must be so prefect on the inside. And the rumor was that Lucian Sterling design them himself, which you highly doubt. He probably couldn't even fix a clock, let alone design a whole airship.

Letting out a small yelp, you looked down at your finger, you see the place where you got shocked. It was red, you really need to pay more attention when you were working. You let out a huff, and quickly got back to work.

~~~~~~~~~~

Deciding that it was about time to check on Elek, you step away from your work. The leg should be ready to go back to it's owner by tomorrow, you might even have Elek deliver it with you. Depending if he is comfortable with it of course, rushing him into things is not a good idea. Life can be very overwhelming, and you don't want him to hate it before he even experiences it.

Exiting your workshop, you make sure to lock the door. Putting the key over the door frame, you start towards the garden. As you walk you make sure all the windows are locked and close all the curtains, can never be too careful.

The cold air rushes pass you as you open the door, you didn't notice it get so late. The sun was setting and the stars were already coming out. Hoping that Elek didn't get bored, you set off to find him in the small garden.

Looking around, you couldn't find him anywhere. Pushing down your worry, you run back to the house. Finding him no where in the modest house, you start to let your worry show. Fearing the worst, you go though the whole house and garden again. With no luck, you push your hair out of your face.

Did someone take him? Did he wonder off? Did he runaway like everyone else? All these questions run wild in your mind like a pack of animals. Shaking off the disorganized thoughts, you start to think of where he would be. Hoping he didn't go far, you set off to find him.

Walking out of the backyard, you remain on your guard. The incident with the alleyway man replaying in your mind. As you pass by the houses of your neighborhood, you can't help but notice that light sound of footsteps behind you. With the hair on the back of your neck standing up, you start to speed up to a fast walk. The footsteps behind matching your speed. That was very worrying. Coming to the conclusion that someone was indeed following you, you started to run. You were not meant for this amount of physical punishment.

The thought to confront whoever was following you came to mind, but you quickly dismissed it. The likelihood of the person having a weapon and being much more physically gifted too great to take a risk. Running through the streets, you looked to see if the was anyplace to hide. Having no luck, you kept on running, until you saw a figure kneeling down.

Taking a chance, you stopped at the figure. Low and behold, it was Elek with a cat in his arms. He looked up to you in shame.

"Master, I am so sorry. I saw a cat, and followed it. I really didn't mean to go out of the garden, I would never purposely disobey and I am so very s-sorry." He continued on with his apology, but you couldn't hear a single thing he said. Looking behind you for your stalker, you didn't see anyone. Taking a minute to breath, you turned back around to Elek. Who was now standing up and looking at you curiously. "Is the something wrong, Mistress?"

"Ah, nothing is wrong. I was just worried about you, it was pretty reckless of you to run off on your own. But everything is okay now, so I forgive you. Lets go home now, it has been a long day." You promptly said, it seemed like whoever followed you didn't want to confront you with someone else around. At least that is what you hope. Taking Elek's hand, you start to head to the safety of your home. Already knowing that you wouldn't get a goodnight's rest.

"If you say so, Master."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

The artwork of Elek was done by me. It is not the best, but I wanted to try my hand at art. And who is a better subject then our cute little Elek. I wanted to color him, but I didn't have any copper colored art supplies. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the update! Have a wonderful day!