Chapter 1 - Dull

This Chapter may contain blood, swearing, and violence. If you are feeling unwell from it, please leave, other than that, enjoy.

Darkness.

That was the only thing I could see now. In real life and my dreams. 

I walked around in the abyss, not knowing where I am. I called out for someone, but there was no answer...

"It is your fault.", was the only reply from behind. I turned around quickly to expect a person standing in front of me, but there was nobody. Furrowing my eyebrows, I quickly looked around to at least find someone in this dull and pitch-black void.

"Who's there!?", I shouted, feeling frustrated now, because it is just me. I then heard whispers coming from behind again. Lighting up my right fist in anger, I swung it across what was behind me and gasped when I saw who that was. 

I just hit my own mother.

She looked at me with tears in her eyes and whispered: "Why..?" before she had disappeared into nothing. I instantly began to panic. The whispers began to get louder as my parents were standing there, holding their hands up in surrender as a DUP soldier was aiming at them.

My eyes widened as I sprinted towards them. "STOP!! GET AWAY FROM THEM!!"

*BANG*

And they disappeared again. Just like that.

Suddenly they appeared in front of me again, but this time their skin color was pretty pale like they are corpses that had risen up again. I felt a shiver down my spine as Dad reached out to me.

"It is your fault."

"NO!!", I gasped as my alarm went off from my phone. "Another nightmare...is this now a usual thing for me to wake up like that?", I mumbled into my hand, brushing my now sticky strand of hair away from my sweaty face. It's been over five years since my parents got killed by that fricking Department of Unified Protection, in short DUP. My parents didn't have any conduit genes, so why did they killed them off? To see me suffer?

I shook my head, trying to clear those thoughts off again as I stood up and made my way to the bathroom to fresh myself up. 

After taking a cold and quick shower, I brushed my now-damped hair, knowing that it'll get dry in a few minutes because of my power, and then I brushed my teeth. Looking at myself in the mirror, I now noticed the bags underneath my eyes and my pale skin. I looked skinny, not that I care but I do eat sometimes when I feel like it.

I wrapped the towel around my body and went out to my bedroom to open my closet. There wasn't really much to wear, since I really don't have any money left to buy new ones so I took out a plain white tank top, a pair of black ripped jeans, my jeans jacket, and my black converse and put them on. 

I grabbed a piece of toast and went outside. The weather wasn't really that nice today but it was cozy for me, to walk down the rain and to listen to the raindrops. 

Maybe I'll grab a coffee from Starbucks today and watch the view from a rooftop. Or I could sketch something but I don't think that will really work with the rain today. 

Or it could work when I am under something that will cover me from being wet.

Finishing my breakfast, I looked over the checkpoint that the DUP had built one week ago. The fact that the DUP had locked down Seattle just to find us conduits has angered me and the activities from the civilians aren't helping me with my mood either. I mean come on, we conduits didn't do anything wrong to them, except those bioterrorists who loved to kill innocent lives.

"No stop! My kid isn't a bioterrorist!!"

My head perked up of that scream as I immediately ran to where it came from. Reaching down a small alley, I saw a mother hugging her child as a DUP soldier has pointed their machine gun at them.

"Miss, we have to. It is your own goddamn sake!!", he was holding the kid's arm as he was struggling to take them away from their mother.

That. was. the. last. straw.

I pulled up my hood to cover my face and took out my iron pole. Running towards the soldier, I pushed a button to make the pole grow back from its original state and hit him harshly at his head, making him let go of the kid.

The man yelled in pain as he was about to aim his gun at me but I shot his gun away and grabbed him, throwing him against the wall and held him up by his throat. He was pleading for me to let go of him but I held his throat tighter, my dark gaze piercing into his frightening one.

Just as I was about to finish him, a ball of smoke made contact on my back as I hissed in pain. I turned my head to where it came from and my eyes widened at who it was.

He was wearing a black sweater jacket, underneath it he wore a red flannel shirt. He also wears a denim vest with studs on it, grey jeans, and black running shoes with neon yellow stripes and a red beanie was on his head. He dropped his hand down as his chains on his right wrist juggle a bit at the movement.

Before he could say anything, I kicked the soldier towards him and I ran.