Chapter 44

Kye

Lake is dying.

Arden basically gutted him with his sword. Right in front of me. And now I watch, helpless, as General Andras, his Second, and Lucine leave my friend to bleed out on the floor. Leave me to writhe against my restraints hopelessly.

"I'm sorry," Lake mumbles, his words echoing off of the high walls of the dark room, the fire in the hearth reduced to nothing but embers. His voice is thick with agony. He has no chance.

"I'm sorry, too," I say numbly, barely able to distinguish between the physical and emotional pain.

Through the roaring in my mind, I hear his last words, nothing but a ragged whisper. "Don't tell Neve the truth. Let her hate me. Please."

And then, before I can even choke out an answer, he's gone. Dead.

I stare into the darkness and let tears slide down my face, welcoming the pain.

Welcoming the pain, and finally understanding why it is so easy for people like Val to believe that suffering is what they deserve.

~

There's the creak of the door, a rustling noise, and then the room is dimly lit, flames growing in the now-lit hearth. Lucine stands before me, looking down at me. "I'm sorry," she breathes.

It's been a few hours, probably somewhere near dawn by now. I'm already weak and shivering with fever. And this is just the beginning.

Every word I say is an effort, my voice strained and shaky. "What are you going to do?" I keep my eyes trained forward, not down. Down is where I'll see Lake. Lake. Dead.

Lucine just shakes her head. "Andras wants me and a few others to bring your friend's body to the square. Hang it with the bodies of our men that the townspeople hung this morning. He wants him to be known as a traitor to the kingdom. As one of us, ironically."

"No," I gasp immediately. "Please. Don't."

She turns away from me and sighs. "I have no choice."

Arden enters the room then, shooting me a cruel, mocking smile. I open my mouth to plead with him and Lucine, but nothing comes out except a ragged sound of pain. Arden laughs. Lucine remains silent.

I close my eyes again, wishing that I could cover my ears too so I wouldn't have to hear the sound of Lake's body being dragged from the room. So I wouldn't have to hear the words Ignus told me this morning, when I left Val, echoing in my head.

"Dying is easy, Flame. And you have yet to rise."

~

I pull against my bindings, my uncontrollably shaking fingers reaching to claw against the ropes tied tight around my wrists. Every few minutes, a violent, sharp spasm doubles me over. The room spins, blurs, the floor bobbing.

Light streams in through the tiny, high window, the fire in the hearth burning steadily, just like me. I wish it was still dark now. If it was, I wouldn't be able to see the crimson blood staining the floor. I wouldn't feel so alone, for the darkness would remind me of Val, maybe even make it seem as if she was with me.

No. She's not here. I'm glad she isn't, because that would mean that she would be a prisoner, and I never want her to be anyone's prisoner ever again.

But she's coming for me. She and Zyair and Neve and Quinn. They're coming. Soon. Tonight or tomorrow, I'd guess. I hope they'll come tonight.

They don't.

~

When someone finally does come, it's nobody pleasant. General Andras. Seeing him....