Chapter 7

Kye

Before I can even register what's happening, I'm pinned against the wall and a blade, wet with fresh blood, is pressed against my neck.

Blaring sirens go off in my head. My first though is that Val is startlingly strong for someone who looks like a ghost half the time. And nearly died a night ago.

Instinctively, my hand flies up to my throat, and my fingers curl around the dagger. Whatever it's made of definitely will not melt fast enough. Desperate, my other hand latches onto Val's wrist. I plan to burn her, but hesitate. Her skin is cold. Unnaturally cold. Cold enough that my fire retreats against my will.

The blade digs into my throat enough to draw blood, and I flinch. Val's breath is cold against my ear. "Remove your hand from my wrist or I will rip your arm off and beat you to death with it," she hisses, eyes narrowed, her expression like steel.

"Sounds lovely," I remark. Val responds by pressing the dagger with more pressure so that blood drips down my neck, the crimson beads staining my shirt.

Fire flares at my fingertips, and I grip her wrist just hard as Val grips the knife she is holding to my throat. "You're just enchanting, aren't you? Such a lovely demon."

"I am going to cut your hands off."

"Not my head first? How disappointing."

"Don't underestimate me."

"I would never."

I finally drop her wrist, sending flames across the room, lighting a few candles so the room is better lit. I bring my flaming hand close to Val. "I don't want to burn you, but I will."

I can see her better now, and no fear is reflected in her eyes, much to my confusion. I let my hand drift a bit closer to her waist, and my fire gutters out. When I try to summon more, nothing comes, though I can feel my magic pulsing in my veins.

What the hell?

"What—what are you doing?" I stutter, realizing that without my fire, I am completely defenseless against this girl who easily killed a man twice her size in a matter of seconds. Val, who can manipulate darkness. Is that even possible?

I try to arch my neck away from the knife, but Val's grip is firm and... experienced. She's done this countless times.

Questions soar through my mind. Who is she? What is she?

"I should kill you," Val states, as if it is a fact. Is it?

I laugh nervously. "For what it's worth, I'd rather you not."

"I never asked for your opinion." Her voice is cold.

I consider yelling for Neve, Zyair, or Lake, but think better of it. The second I open my mouth, Val will most likely kill me. It's not too surprising that nobody heard the whole commotion, because my friends sleep on the other side of the house, and are very heavy sleepers. Especially Zyair. He could sleep through anything.

All I can do is watch, trying to calm the terror in my veins, and hope that Val doesn't kill me. I can see that she's thinking, contemplating.... most likely if she can trust me or not. Regarding what, exactly, I don't know. Her power, most likely. Although I can't seem to wrap my brain around that yet, because controlling darkness isn't possible. None of the gods would be able to give that gift, for none of them have it in the first place.

There's Alizeh, the Goddess of Wind; Ignus, the God of Fire; Iclyus, the God of Ice; and Terra, the Goddess of the Land. Each god founded one of the kingdoms, is an ancestor of the kingdom's Royal Family, and will gift some citizens of their kingdom with their magic. No god has dark magic, so Val's powers are impossible.