Chapter 41

Emma

Mike picked me up in the evening for Dawood's boxing match. Dawood left a long list of instructions for me before he left. At the top of the list, if it got too much for me to stomach the fight, I should not hesitate to tell Mike I wanted to leave. The second one was to stay away from all the men wearing suits. He didn't need to give me that warning because I would never go within a ten-meter radius of those mobsters.

I felt giddy as Mike drove us to the arena where the fight would take place. If Abi or any of my brothers found out I was going to such a place, they would not hesitate to skin alive Dawood. I was unsure how they would react if they knew Dawood's ties with the mob. Abi hated them to the core, and I had no doubt it won't go down well if he ever found this out.

"Since when has Dawood been boxing here?" I asked Mike when we reached an old building on the city's outskirts.

It looked like the building had not been used in years, but the cars parked around it told a different story.

"Since our college days," Mike replied.

"Didn't you guys try to talk him out of this madness?"

"Do you think Dawood listens to anyone if he sets any goal for himself?" Mike arched his brow at me.

I sighed because I knew he was right. Dawood Ordimez was not the kind of man who would let anyone else influence his decision.

"I guess you can talk him out of this," Mike said as we neared the entrance of the building.

"Dawood would never listen to me," I corrected him.

"You don't realize the power you hold over him. I have not seen Dawood care about a girl in years," Mike said and then pulled out a card from his pocket and showed it to the guard standing at the entrance.

"You mean he cared for someone before?"

The guard turned the handle of the heavy metal door as we both waited to get inside.

"It's not in my place to tell you anything about this. It would be best if you asked Dawood," he replied.

"He doesn't talk about it," I gave Mike an indignant look hoping he would spill the beans about my husband's mysterious past.

"I am sorry, Emma, but I don't think Dawood would like it if I told you anything. Give him time. I am sure he will come forth with it. From how he acts around you and cares about you, I think he is falling for you," Mike said as we stepped inside a corridor in the building.

I gave Mike a startled look. What did he mean by Dawood was falling for me? Mike ignored my look and took a step forward into the corridor. The corridor was dimly lit and carpeted. It led to a massive wooden door at the end, where two more guards were stationed.

"I have known Dawood since we were kids. We lived on the same street. I have never seen him so protective and possessive about any girl. Maybe I am wrong, but I do feel that you have succeeded in melting the ice around his heart," Mike stated, staring into my eyes.

"Dawood doesn't love me. We are just trying to make this marriage work because of our families," I took a deep breath.

I was feeling short of oxygen suddenly. Mike was Dawood's best friend since childhood. He was aware of his past, and he indeed knew Dawood better than anyone else. If Mike felt Dawood had feelings for me, could it be true? Was Dawood falling for me? I couldn't wrap my mind around it. Dawood Ordimez loving me, out of all people, was something I could never imagine in ten lifetimes.

"Good luck convincing yourself," Mike said as the guards opened the wooden doors, and we stepped into a vast square room.

There were stands on all four sides of a boxing ring in the middle. Men of different strata of society occupied those seats. Most of them were men from all strata of society. We walked towards the ring, and Mike halted when we reached the first row. The first and second rows consisted primarily of empty couches. Mike led me toward the middle of the row where Robert and Joshua, one of Dawood's friends, were already waiting.