Part One: Samantha

I wake up to the scent of a crisp spring breeze. My eyes flutter open to meet the sun, reflecting all across my creeper-green walls. As my mind and body start to wake up, I think about what I have to do today. Then I recall: It's my birthday! Excitement jostled my body as I enjoyed my first moments of fifteen. When I am ready to attack the day as a zombie attacks a minecraft tree, I head downstairs. I expect the usual birthday festivities: a stack of my dear mother's homemade flapjacks, doused in syrup and raspberries, my best friend and twin brother Dominic, waiting with flowers for me at the table, and balloons all around the house. But instead, I am greeted with tension you could cut with a knife. My father and brother are absent, and my mother is quiet in the kitchen with silent, solemn tears tumbling down her pale, irish skin. She looks at me with her bright blue orbs, which are usually reflective of the ocean on a gorgeous summer's day. But today, they were broke and looked like the choppy waters of Lake Superior, one of my dearest vacation spots. "Mommy, what seems to be troubling your precious heart this fine morning?" I question, anxious for a response. But she doesn't give one. After what seems to be hours of waiting, she looks up at me. I look down at her cracked, dry lips and see her mouth the word "sorry". Before I can question her further, I hear a knock at the door. My head twists sharply to the booming presence at our front entrance. My hands run across our chilling counter onto the beige, chalky walls as I meekly stroll towards the portal from my world to outside. My body shivers as my dainty hands lie on the gold door knob and turn. What I see shocks me to my core.