Chapter 33

Plutonian soldiers bark orders while we run through the darkened corridors. The flickering lights above are a solace but they aren't enough to hide us in the shadows as the soldiers shoot at us.

Luna leads the way but we have to hide behind corners ever so often to avoid getting shot down. Laser beams fly down the corridors towards us like a rainfall of cascading lights. One of them singes my sleeve just as we turn a corner to catch our breaths.

My arm stings slightly but the overriding adrenaline rush in my system blocks out the pain. I barely feel a thing except the pounding of blood in my ears.

We get a few shots in but we are painfully outnumbered. Luna leads us down another dimly lit corridor, murmuring that we are getting closer.

We stumble along the walls, taking cover when we need to but mostly running away from the Plutonians who have been pursuing us.

Vix is amazing, his accuracy is astounding and his short stature is perfect for shooting at their legs causing them to stumble. I do the same, aiming at their knees where the reinforcements are less.

A few of them curse but they still manage to keep up with us.

Luna stops once we turn another corner, catching her breath and pointing to a small room. We bundle ourselves inside but soon the Plutonian voices are coming from all directions.

We are being surrounded.

I turn to her in panic and she looks just as bewildered. The only calm one seems to be the tiny mushroom looking Cixin refugee with us.

He points at a vent by the wall next to his feet and his stubby fingers latch on to the screws by the sides, undoing them expertly.

The stomping of boots stop and the slits in the door darken. The Plutonian soldiers have gathered outside our door. I hear them lifting their charged guns, the small thrumming of their loaded chambers pierce my ears.

Sweat rolls down the side of my face. There is no way we can outrun them even with Vix halfway through the vent.

"Two lefts," Luna whispers and then she takes off her helmet.

"Don't fire. It's me," She says, her voice clear and commanding.

My eyes widen and I want to protest but she pushes me towards the hole and all but kicks my butt till I am fully inside. My body shakes in fear for her while Vix fastens the vent's latch silently, shutting us off from Luna.

"She, tall, no fit," He explains in a whisper.

The door opens, flooding the room with light.

"Precursor General Luna," A soldier stutters in acknowledgment. It is as if they have forgotten that she is on Lucian's side and still address her with her previous title.

"Yes, it is me. I want to speak with Commander Q. I know he is here and I want to meet my squad member."

"Ex squad member," Another throaty voice says. "Immobilize her. We're taking her in. Find her accomplices."

A ball lodges in my throat but Vix is already scurrying along the narrow vents, getting further away from the chaos. I follow him quickly, the sides of the walls grazing my shoulders slightly.

Vix is right, Luna would have never been able to fit in these enclosed spaces. Which means neither would the other Plutonians.

Finally something we can use to our advantage.

We crawl surreptitiously along the passageways and take the two lefts just as Luna instructed. The sound of the hyperdrive engines buzzing beneath us is like music to my ears. The back up warp drives would be just beneath.