Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Tahimik akong sumunod kay Heather patungo sa cabin. The moment I saw her eyes earlier when she looked at me, I already know she has something to say. Kaya hindi na ako nagulat nang pumasok siya sa kwarto ko at isinara ang pinto.

"Are you close with Larry?"

"Huh?"

She rolled her eyes on me, "Do you know that she's migrating here too? Dito na siya mag-aaral, her transfer papers are done. And she'll be here next month."

Hindi ako nakasagot. First of all, ngayon ko lang ito nalaman. Ate Larry lost her parents at an early age and she used to live with us back in Canada. Palipat-lipat siya sa pamilya namin ni Kuya Hash. I didn't know she will decide to live here too.

But I don't understand why she's telling me about this.

Her eyebrows shot up when she realized I'm confused. She crossed her arms above her chest. "I'm saying that you should just live with her. Tutal magkamag-anak naman kayo.."

I stared at her as my mind process what she just said. Slowly, I realized that she wants me to leave their house.

"Uhm.. I.. I can't decide on that Heather.."

She laughed sarcastically, "Really? But you decided to live here with us right? You mean you can't decide if you can live with a relative but you can live with us? We're not even relatives.."

Napakurap ako, "Look Heather, I know you're mad at me about what happened earlier.."

She chuckled, but then again it's filled with sarcasm. "Buti alam mo Coleen?"

"I'm sorry, hindi ko alam na magkakagulo.."

"Ako alam ko.." Humakbang siya palapit sa akin. "Alam kong gulo lang ang dala mo sa pamilya namin, lalo na sa mga kapatid ko."

Now I can't even say something. The guilt for what happened earlier arose in my chest.

"If you continue to be with us, who knows what might happen next? My brothers never got into trouble because of me. Pero ngayon dahil sayo, napaaway silang tatlo."

Napayuko ako. I can't look at her anymore, masyado akong nagiguilty. I know she has a point.

"So if you really are concerned about them, just leave the house and stay with Larry. I heard she'll stay with Faye and Kuya Fire. So that's gonna be alright, right? Altamirano pa rin naman sila. Like what's promised, Altamiranos will take care of you."

Tumango ako para lang matapos na ito. I think she has a point. Maybe I should just leave her family alone? Baka nga kung hindi ko pa siya susundin ay kung ano pang mangyayari sa susunod?

"I hope you understand me Coleen. I care for my brothers and if you care for them too, just leave us alone."

"Y-Yes.. I will talk to my mom about it. I'm sorry, Heather.."

She smiled, "Thanks Coleen."

She left after that.

Nang naiwan na ako mag-isa ay saka ako naupo sa kama at tuluyang naiyak.

I don't want what she wants me to do but I think she has a point, I think it's the best thing to do.