CHAPTER 60

Yesterday when I promised Christopher that I'll help him, I didn't have the slightest knowledge of what I meant by it. But now, as I sit next to him on the flight to San Diego, I realize how clear I am in my mind about what I am going to do. Christopher was and always will be the main priority of my life, and I am ready to do anything to get him out of Richard's evil grip. I don't have many contacts, so it's obvious that the only person I know who could help us in this situation is my dad.

Three weeks ago when my father showed up at the door, never in my worst time I would have thought of going back home to seek his help. I still remember how bluntly I said it on his face that I shall pray to God that I'd never see the day when I'll need his help, but here I am on my way to do the exact opposite of what I declared. I guess that's fucking life. When you decide never to fucking let your foot off the beaten path, life brutally forces you to crawl exactly on it, leaving you without a choice. I went back to ignoring his calls after that day, thinking that I wouldn't have to face him anytime soon, but I guess I was wrong.

I turn my head to see Christopher looking out of the window. He still looks sad. I wish I could do something to put a smile on his face. I can't see him suffer like this, but I also know that things can't get back to normal overnight. The truth that he has learned about his past is really hard to digest. I know it would take him some time to adjust to everything and accept the harsh reality. I put my arm through his and rest my head on his shoulder. My heart fills up with warmth when he turns to plant a soft kiss on top of my head.

Last night when he revealed things about the truth of his past, I was shocked. It was really scary to know Richard could do that to him. I can't believe he kept everyone in dark including his own daughter. That's freaking crazy! From looking at Christopher's face right now, I could sense how much his revelation has affected him. I am sure Richard was expecting this to happen. And that's why he let Christopher go. He thought that after learning the truth, Christopher would be traumatized. He would become too weak to gather any courage to fight against him.

He thought Christopher would never be able to get out of his grip with the guilt he has inflicted on him. But that's where he went wrong. He doesn't know that I am here with Christopher and I am not going to let him win so easily. Back when he came to threaten me, I had noticed in his eyes how much he underestimated me. He thought I was too naïve. He assumed that his terrorizing tone was enough to get me out of Christopher's life. But he isn't aware that's where I get the advantage. He is too overconfident, and that's the thing that would lead him towards his downfall.

Richard doesn't know me or my father. He doesn't know what my father does, and I am clinging to that little hope that he'll help us. My father may not have been titled as a perfect family man, but he has surely proven himself to be a dedicated officer. I know I am risking Christopher in all this. It would just need a call for my father to make and inform the headquarters to get Christopher arrested. That's the worst possible reaction that I could get from him, and I don't want that. I hope my dad listens to me and everything goes according to my plan.

When I told Christopher that we could get help from my father, he didn't say anything and that led me to know that he was okay with my plan. It's pretty obvious that he still is not in a good mental state, and it wouldn't have been fair for me to stress him more. Before leaving Christopher informed Max, I am sure Christopher hasn't told Max everything that happened between Richard and him. He just knows that the differences between Christopher and Richard have grown bitter over a period, especially because of Sophia. And now it has reached an extent where we want to get rid of him.

He isn't aware of our entire plan, but we know he is on our side. Max has been always helpful, and he is proving it again this time. He assured us that he could keep Richard engaged while we are gone. But he asked us to be quick with our plan because it isn't certain that Richard wouldn't come looking for us. That's the reason we took a flight instead of going by road. We are running out of time and we need to figure things out before Richard gets ahead of us.