(8)

Two more weeks had passed, and Spencer and Olivia still hadn't spoken. He had no idea what was going on with the pregnancy, or if it still even existed. She had completely isolated herself from him after their last conversation over text. Truth be told he was going a little insane trying to figure it all out. He just wanted answers but part of him believed he never would get those. In the meantime, he tried his best to focus on the things that he does have control over, his family and football. Spencer, Grace, and Dillon were sitting at the table eating breakfast.

"You're awfully quiet baby, everything okay?" Grace observed.

"I'm good Ma, just got a lot on my mind" He said while scrapping the fork around the food on his plate.

"Dillon go freshen up while I talk to your brother" His little brother nodded excusing himself from the table. Spencer placed his fork on the plate no longer wanting to eat. Grace angled her chair diagonally, so she was facing her son. She rested her hand on his shoulder lifting his head.

"Talk to me, what's on your mind?" He looked up at his mom.

"Ion know mom, it just feels like everything is...falling apart...the team is not doing so great, it's been really hard for me to get recruited for college and... then there's Liv..." He paused. Grace eyed him suspiciously leaning closer.

"Liv? What about Lay-"

"Layla? Yeah, that's over. But it's for the best" He sighed pushing his plate to the side.

"And Liv?"

"It's complicated..." He whispered folding his arms in slight defense.

"When you're in love it always is" Spencer's head shot up quickly in stunned by his moms statement. She smiled at his facial expression.

"You knew?"

"Boy, I was young once. I know what it's like to be in love, and you're my son. I notice things you don't think I see" He chuckled.

"What things have you noticed ma?"

"Hmm well for starters, you light up like a Christmas tree anytime her name is mentioned!"

"Nah! No, I don't ma" He lied trying to play it off.

"Nah!" Grace copied him sarcastically. They joined each other in a rumble of laughter, holding their stomachs and almost falling in their chairs.

"Aight ma you got me there"

"Mhm yea I know. Also, I see the way she looks at you. It's the same look I used to give your father and she smiles like a kid in a candy store whenever your name is mentioned, soo, I know love when I see it and it's pretty obvious with you two" She said to her son.

"I don't even know how it happened. The shooting changed things for us. We connected so deep over the summer, then Vegas happened, and it completely changed our dynamic. And as weird as it may sound...I'm crazy about her ma" Spencer revealed to his mother. Grace rested her palm over his.

"Listen son, I don't know what happened between you two in Vegas and the summer but what I do know is it has made you happier than I've seen you since you got shot. You have a light, but it's been brighter since her and I know things are complicated, but it won't stay that way forever. You have to figure out a way to make the love, not so complicated. Talk to her" She spoke.

"That's a lot easier said than done mom, she won't even answer my calls or texts" Spencer swore feeling depleted.

"Well, then find a way to get her attention. Give her a reason to answer. She's got a stubborn streak and that's' one thing I've learned after almost three years of knowing her, and she may just need that extra push from the man who loves her" He looked up nodding.