Intro

He was comfortable in his chair, ignoring their busy lives for just a moment before his mad genius of a flatmate decided to blow something else up or set fire to the kitchen.

Finally updating his blog on the case from over two weeks ago and suddenly said flatmate decides to stand in front of him in all his casual glory, looking expectant with a frown as though John has somehow offended him but John hasn't even done anything yet. It's less than a moment later the frown turns into a strop and the detectives arms cross looking for all the world like a overgrown toddler who wasn't allowed the action man he saw in the shop that John suddenly clicks that Sherlock has yet again forgot to say what he was thinking either aloud or when John was even in the same room.

"Sherlock what?" John sighed.

It was at this point Sherlock seemed to realise he hadn't actually told John what he expected of him and so the arms dropped off not a bit awkwardly.

"I was reading cosmopolitan.. oh don't give me that look... and basically it claims a 20 second hug can reduce levels of stress and blood pressure. As a doctor I'm sure you can see the benefits here being this experiment so I demand you hug me now and we get to it" this was said with as much authority as a consulting detective can muster towards an ex army captain which is a surprising lot but John isn't phased.

"You could have just asked for a hug" John offered "you don't need a lame excuse"

Losing some dignity here Sherlock then claimed, "It's not an excuse! It's an experiment!"

"Uh huh and I'm a monkeys uncle" John smirked, amused. "Fine fine experiment away, don't you need like some sort of heart monitor or something? You know, to see your heart rate etcetera"

"Yes and I've already thought about that"

"Have you"

"Yes, what do you take me for, an idiot John?"

"Sometimes"

"I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend I didn't hear that" Sherlock responded with a sulk and looked at John expectantly, before he was being bombarded with an armful of strong and soft soldier, a warm calloused hand around the back of his neck pulling him into the hug despite his noise of protest at being manhandled in such a way.

After a few moments John began to grow accustomed to the awkwardly hunched detective in his grasp and the knobbly curve of his spine under his fingers and the unique smell of bergamot and sandalwood coming from the neck only an inch or so from his mouth and occupying most of his personal space.

Sherlock too began to adjust slowly, settling and relaxing into the doctors hold on him, his body losing its tenseness and his shoulders dropping as he accepted the hug and slowly began to return it,his arms moving to wrap around John's waist. It was awkward but oddly perfect-

"72 beats per minute approximately" John mumbled Softly.

"Wha?" Sherlock pulled back confused, a frown marring his features.

"You're heart rate, it dropped from rather frantic to just about 72 beats which is healthy for your age and stature and you seemed to Relax more so I'm guessing you were right with a hugs ability to improve your mood."

"Oh...erm. Thankyou john. That will be all ." And with that the detective had dashed into his room with a blush already working its way up his cheeks having been caught off guard in how his body had relaxed into johns and his brain had stumbled to a tired halt.

Jotting down his findings in a notebook he started to plan a better approach to this experiment before he fell asleep.