Part 3

I wake up to the most amazing aroma surrounding me and as I open my eyes I find the most important lady in my life, my mom, holding a tray of, more than likely, my favorite breakfast items.  “Happy Birthday my beloved baby.” She is wearing a brilliant smile on her face.  “It’s still early and since I have to get you and that canvas into school incognito be quick.  Also don’t forget that I have made dinner reservations at our favorite restaurant to celebrate your milestone birthday so don’t be too late coming home from school okay dear.”

I give her a strong hug and peck her on the cheek and say, “Thanks so much mom.  I love you so much.”  As her eyes begin to water she waves me away and walks out of my room.  See, the best mom ever!

Not much later on I find myself staring at the only canvas displayed on an easel in the middle of the art room.  I always peruse my work before handing it over to my teacher to be displayed for the viewing pleasure of the student body and faculty.  I cover it up and just as I am heading out I hear a conversation getting closer and closer to the art room.

Oh my God it’s Pasha and my art teacher.  I have to hide.  He can’t find me here.  These are the thoughts running in my head.  I run into the nearest utility closet and hide.  “Ms. Arkwright, please.”  I hear Pasha pleading with her and I’m not sure why.  “Please, it’s my birthday today and I just want to see it before everyone else does.”  Before my art teacher can respond, I notice they both stop suddenly in their tracks as their gazes fall upon my lone covered canvas.

I may be hiding but I am still curious so I’m more like peeping through the slight slit I made in the door.  “Oh my God, this is it isn’t it.  It has to be.”  He looks imploringly at my art teacher and begs, “Please, just let me get one look.  You have no idea what these paintings and pictures mean to me.  Please.”

He must have gotten through to her because she responds, “Just one quick look and then you have to go okay Pasha.”  She then begins to remove the tarp.  “Thank you, thank you, and thank you.  I will!”  Then I hear them both gasp out loud.  I open the door a bit more to get a better view of Pasha’s reaction.

“It’s me.  Oh God, it’s of me.  How…you have to tell me who the artist is.”  He is so shocked.  However, my art teacher is shaking her head adamantly declining his request.  “You know I can’t do that.  Pasha you have to go.  Class will start soon okay.”  He takes one last look filled with such longing that it confuses me.  Then he leaves looking almost a bit dejected.

Once she is sure that he is really gone, she starts to call out for me.  I come out from my hiding spot and just stare at her.  “It is breathtaking. Your best work yet.  I have to tell you Kenzie this piece shows your level of emotions for him you know that right?”  “I still don’t want him to know who I am.  The moment he does his feelings will change and I don’t want to ruin that for him.”  She shakes her head in understanding and says, “Well off to class with you and by the way, Happy Birthday Kenzie.”

 Suddenly, I hear, what I am pretty sure is a faint gasp, and my teacher and I leave the art room and look out into the hall but no one is there.  That brief moment of panic is now gone and I take my leave of my art teacher.