𝟏𝟎| 𝐅𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐜𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

"Are you suggesting something, Miss Maynard?" He asked me curtly. His face looked as unreadable as ever but I could hear it in his voice that he wasn't particularly pleased with my suggestion.

"No, I'm not," I admitted instantly, somewhat dissolving the tension in the air but still, his eyes remained focused on me as if he was trying to see through me. "I'm slightly bewildered by the fact that Mr. Godwick wants me dead when he could use me as a witness for one of his good servant's murder,"

He stared at me gravely for a few more moments before he muttered under his breath but I was still able to clearly hear him say, "Wittier than I thought,"

"I am?"

"There's more to things than you'd ever know," He replied instead.

"Oh, I'd like to know-"

"No," He cut me sharply.

"Why not?" My mouth asked without consulting with my brain. This injected the air in the room with more tension.

"Miss Maynard, you're already in a lot of trouble for seeing something you shouldn't have. I think this should be a strong enough reason for you to keep out of this,"

Did he say reason? Because he should have known that I wasn't someone very good with that but again, how was he supposed to know that about me yet? We hadn't spent any time together which might help him discover this peculiar quality of mine.

"But I'm involved in this hence, this definitely concerns me. I wish to know why they're after me and why you're keeping me here as your prisoner guest,"

Something flickered in his eyes at this and he set his jaw. My heart was now beating faster as I peered into his eyes. I wanted to look away but I couldn't. All of a sudden I was scared to look away.

"She's done identifying him. Take him downstairs," Mr. Night ordered Filth without tearing his eyes off me or blinking. Suddenly, the air around us was thick with tension.

Filth instantly followed Mr. Night's order by stuffing Edward's mouth with some clothe like an apple being stuffed into a small pig's mouth before being roasted. Though I wondered if Filth would roast Edward the same way and serve him to Mr. Nigh. I had a feeling that Edward wouldn't taste anywhere near like a pig. Maybe, Filth should choose a real pig to roast and serve it to Mr. Night.

Edward tried to protest but there wasn't much he could do to stop Filth from dragging him out of the room given that he was already half bleeding from his head and his hands were tied. I was mostly astonished as Edward's strangled protesters got quieter while Filth dragged him to god knew which part of the hell.

When the two of them were gone, it was the time I finally became aware of the fact that I was now left completely alone with Mr. Night who was still watching me warily.

I completely froze as my eyes locked with his once again. I was now more than aware of how dangerous he was and the things he could do to me if he wished yet I had managed to find myself in a situation like this. Should I pat myself in the back for that?

Maybe, I could save that for later when I am in my grave.

Currently, I tried to focus more on him instead of my plans in the grave. Or should I be more elaborate with the latter because it seemed like I was soon going to go to an unmarked grave because of the situation I'd found myself in.

I couldn't decide. I could only look at his beautifully carved face which was half plunged into shadows while his tall figure stood so still, almost resembling a statue. Both of his hands were in his tailcoat's pockets.