Chapter One

"Felix!" A woman called, her voice echoing across the big garden. She looked around, trying to find her son, her hand above her forehead to block the bright sun from her eyes. She sighed when she spotted a blonde head popping up from behind a tree, the slim boy running towards her, a bright smile lightening his freckled face. "Where were you? We're going to be late..." She softly said, once her son was standing in front of her.

"I'm sorry, mum," Felix replied, his smile unfaltering. "I lost track of time."

"It's fine. Go wash yourself and get ready," she said. Felix nodded and zoomed to his room, grabbing clean clothes, before heading to the shower. Once he was ready, he joined his mother to the car, climbed inside and they drove away. The weather was beautiful, the sky bright blue, the sun shining high in the sky, and the temperature warm. 

"So how are you feeling?" Mrs Lee asked, glancing at her son for a second, before staring back at the road. Felix tore his eyes away from the landscape, and turned to look at his mother, smiling softly.

"I'm feeling good today," the boy replied cheerfully. "I went to the woods behind the house, and I saw a blue bird. It really was beautiful! I wanted to look at it closer, but I scared him away when I approached it..." His mother chuckled. "I also saw a squirrel," Felix continued. "I saw it climb up a tree and jump from one tree to another... I wish I could be like a squirrel."

Mrs Lee laughed. "Why do you want that?" she asked, wanting her son to feel safe and not stupid about his strange wishes.

"Well, they're free for one...," Felix said, almost in a whisper. "They can run around, climb high, jump... See their other squirrel friends... They're lucky." Felix averted his gaze from his mother, and looked back at the landscape through the window, chewing the inside of his cheek as if regretting what he had just said, and hummed a song.

His mother bit her lip, sorrow and pain piercing her heart as she heard her son's words. She wished more than anything for her Felix to have had a normal life, to have friends, to be able to be free... Life was unfair for trying to bring the sweetest, gentlest, happiest boy ever down, to strike him with such an unforgiving curse, and try to end his existence every time there was room for hope. Since the age of 5 years old, the sweet boy had been sick : diagnosed with cancer, he had been living between life and death for seven years, with a health going up and down with no warning whatsoever. Felix was 16 now, a frail skinny boy with a face bright and a smile like no others, and his health had been quite perfect for four years now, the boy regaining his strength little by little, with no noticeable relapse to fear. 

Mrs Lee parked the car and climbed out, followed by her son. She locked the car, and the two of them headed to a large white building. As soon as they entered, Felix felt his mother tense ever so slightly, and the boy reached for her hand, gently squeezing it as a way to reassure her everything would be okay. At the touch, the mother glanced at her son and gave him a smile, before she looked at the dreadful white door, took a deep breath and entered. The doctor was quick to receive them, greeting the two people with a bright and soothing smile, and extra affection for Felix. The man guided the young boy through all the process of the examination and different tests with gentleness and praises, reassuring the boy before planting the needle in his arm or before going to the scanner. 

It seemed to Felix's mother, that the examination was taking forever, the door opening and closing so often, making her jump whenever she saw her son or the doctor, looking at the man with hopeful eyes, and she was getting more and more worried by the second. Although she should have gotten used to the process by now, it seemed she really couldn't : it had brought bad or disappointing news every single time. Finally, the doctor was back, Felix following suit, and Mrs Lee almost jumped up from her seat, but remained in her spot, waiting for the man to tell her the news. He went to his desk and sat down, going through his computer, clicking here and there while Felix took the seat next to his mother who kept staring at the doctor with hopeful eyes. The doctor turned his gaze towards her and smiled.