Chapter 3

3

3.
Green Thumbs & Green Knees

THE smell of fertiliser fills the warm Herbology classroom, alive with the chatter of students. Elio slouches against one of the benches as everyone settles in and lets out a rather loud yawn, still shaking the last vestiges of sleep from his body. The warmth of the greenhouse does nothing to help him. It's so comfortably warm his eyes still feel heavy, the threat of dozing off looming.

Around him, his classmates are chattering quietly. He can hear fragments of conversations about the summer break, enough to know everyone is catching up. There's a small bubble around Elio that is quiet, void of anyone but him. It's unlikely to be filled until someone has no choice but to settle in beside him. He's worked hard to make it that way. That, and no one ever wants to be his Herbology partner.

"Alright, class! Today, we'll be tending to screechsnaps." Sprout announces to the class, labelling the purple plants in front of them. They look like a distant cousin to the Venus fly trap, though far more lively than any fly trap Elio has ever seen. The plants sway idly, the flowers moving as if they can see. Every so often, one's petals will snap together like a mouth, quietly grumbling. "Now, these plants are semi-sentient, so they can feel pain. I expect you all to treat them with the utmost care and respect. No teasing or torturing them — that means you, Michaels."

The class titters with amusement at the Slytherin boy's sudden attention. Michaels glowers as all eyes turn to him, silencing the laughter from those around him. To be fair, the attention is warranted; it wouldn't be the first time he's harassed a plant as a joke.

"Now, I want you to all partner up and collect a screechsnap. I'll walk you through the care once all your groups and plants are set up at a bench." Most of the students, anticipating Sprout's instructions, have already settled themselves in their pairs. There's some shuffling around, though most are just grabbing their plants. Elio remains seated. Soon, Sprout will find his partner — someone unfortunate enough to be the odd one out — and force them together.

"Primrose, go join Mr. Black." Sprout's voice carries over the din of the classroom. Elio glances over to see one of the Ravenclaw boys rising to his feet. "Collect one of the screechsnaps on your way."

"Hey." Primrose greets Elio as he reaches the bench, placing the plant and books on it. "I guess we're partners."

"Hi." Elio returns the greeting, with just about as much enthusiasm. The Ravenclaw is making no effort to hide his reluctance to partner up with him. Though, Elio prefers that to the alternative. At least this is honest.

"Now, the basics remain the same, even with this plant. However, as it is more alive than just any old plant, there is a degree more care required." Sprout informs them all once they've settled, gently stroking one of the leaves of her demonstrative plant at the front. Copying her, Elio reaches out towards his own in an attempt to pet it. However, before he can, the plant snaps at him. For a mouth made of leaves, it packs a stinging bite. Primrose, watching him, rolls his eyes. "This plant will be a lot more vocal about what it does and doesn't like. It may make it difficult to give exact requirements for the treatment, as each one may prefer more or less manure or water. But, at least, it will make sure you know."