Chapter 10

10

10.
'Tis the Season to be Jolly

          THE Great Hall is abnormally quiet, with most having gone home for Christmas. Of the Catchers, only Cedric went home. Percy had said he would, but he sits beside Oliver during breakfast the first morning of the Christmas break. Elio sits across from them, as the hall is too empty to stick to Houses. The only other students, sitting further down on the same table, are Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"I thought you were going home." Oliver says to Percy, who sighs immediately.

"I was, until Ron decided he wasn't. Mother doesn't like the idea of him being by himself — or Harry, for that matter — so she has me on babysitting duties." Percy explains. "It's probably for the better; it'll be quieter here than it will be at home. I had been looking forward to going back for the break, though."

"What about the girl?" Elio asks as he cuts into a sausage.

"Who? Hermione?" The younger shrugs. It's strange, to Oliver, not knowing who Hermione is. She, much like her friends, is a girl who demands to be noticed — through her sheer intelligence alone. "I don't know, Mother didn't mention her. Hermione is the sensible one of the lot. If anything, she's more likely to keep them out of trouble."

"Are either of you going to Maternalia?" Elio asks when the conversation starts to drift off. He's met with confused silence, which draws his attention from his sausages to the two boys across from him. Disbelief is etched across his face, in the wide eyes, furrowed brow, and scrunched nose. "You know what Christmas is, but you don't know about Maternalia? What kind of Pureblood are you both?"

"I think it's long been established that the Weasleys aren't good Purebloods."

"And the Woods are only pure by blood. Any status is non-existent." Oliver adds. But both these responses don't appease the youngest, who continues to shake his head.

"It's got nothing to do with status. Even halfbloods go." Elio says. "It's just wizarding Christmas. Or a tradition from when we were more insular, if you're not the religious sort. You two should come."

"I can't. I have to watch my brother." Percy's decline is met with an unimpressed stare.

"You're going to spend that day in the library while Weasley and co. likely do everything to avoid the library." Elio retorts, before shoving a piece of sausage in his mouth. "Come on, it'll be fun. Please, Weasley, just this once."

"I don't want to go to some Pureblood thing and spend the entire evening being bullied for being a Weasley."

"But that's the beauty of it. Maternalia is all about breaking free from that sort of stuff. You dress up, no one's supposed to know who you are and if they figure it out then they pretend they don't." Elio is practically leaning across the table in his enthusiasm. His fashionably ill-fitting shirt is getting dangerously close to his plate. A flash of silver from a hanging necklace glints at Oliver and the Keeper averts his eyes. "We'll change your hair for a night, get you a costume. No one would know."