*8*

" Just give him to them." Mae insisted. Lily eyes red with tears nodded in agreement, her eyes kept skimming to the yard where Ofrin's body was being kept. Nobody had informed her of the condition in which her friends had been found. She would find out soon but somehow nobody in the cabin felt like it was quite the right time. Donnie had bags under his eyes and looked ill, Gilly was just the same. They had done a difficult task last night and now the air hung heavy with the smell of smoke. There would be one more funeral pyre tonight. 

" How will Shae feel if I give her lovers body to a crowd of strangers." Thandre sighed. It would be so much easier to just give it up. He had lifted the spell and tried everything he could to wake the girl up, but her own magic was keeping her under. Mae fell silent but the crowd get louder. If Shae weren't his apprentice he would have agreed by now but he knew he'd feel the guilt mount up if he didn't wait for a little longer. " I'll give them the body if Shae isn't awake by tomorrow." He headed to the door to announce his decision. 

In the wizards guild, on the other side of the city, there was another meeting going on. Master Stoat was taking great displeasure having to explain the events of the previous day in regards to his apprentice disappearing. " The boy, if he returns should be expelled from the guild." Stoat summarized. To him, it was the only punishment fitting Donnie's embarrassing failure of duty.

"Oh go easy on the lad Stoat." Master Kobbs of cursed objects objected. " Not many healthy young lads would just be able to watch when a group of young ladies is being murdered." In his head Master Kobbs, his only objection to Donnie's action was that the boy hadn't saved a prettier one. There was a general mumbling of agreement. Then Master Thistle of ancient runes piped up. His thin reedy voice grated on Stoats nerves. " I'd say the real issue is the other one. Sure our little runaway isn't a suitable memorizer but that other lad the laughing one." He spat the words and there was a general rumble of agreement from the group. " Not right in the head." Knobbs agreed, his jowly face wobbling as he did so. If Thistle was a rat, Kobbs was an old bulldog. 

" He did his job. Even if he did it distastefully." Stoat defended but even he had to admit John's laughing had been disturbing to listen to. Had the boy not realised that if the sickness spread too far then it would be the wizards getting lynched next. " The laughing one has to go." The head of the meeting Master Hodell agreed. Hodell was one of the few men in the room Stoat had a degree of respect for. The old wizard, not to say Stoat was much younger, had been an active finder for at least two centuries before becoming their Master. Over 600 young wizards had been found and rescued by Hodell personally. It was hard for any wizard not to respect someone like that. " Agreed." the rest of the Masters chimed in. " He won't take it well." mused Stoat and like that, nearly the entire assembly looked over to the darkest corner of the room. A small slender man with a grey suit and well-trimmed beard gave them a lazy smile. " We don't take ones that enjoy killing you know." He didn't so much speak as he oozed the words. emphasizing each one. The council continued to look at him. " I can get one of my lot to dispose of him if that's what you want. You just have to put in a request with Abigail, my secretary. Discounted fee for guild business." Stoat shuddered. Master Prebble of the secret arts was a snake poised to strike at any time. A bag of coins arrived neatly at Prebble's feet. Stoat didn't know who tossed it and wasn't sure he wanted to either. " Ah... they more off the books kind of discretion ey. Very well. It will be done by tomorrow. Goodnight Gentlemen." Prebble had picked up the bag, chose a coin and bit it thoughtfully. Satisfied he turned to leave. 

A collective sigh of relief was released by the gathered wizards once the door clicked shut. Stoat cursed his former apprentices and decided to leave once the meeting descended into the usual raucous drinking. As the door to his apartments closed he noticed an unfamiliar shadow in the room. " Stoat. I'll have you know that hiding the boy won't work forever and my instructions are clear. If I can't find him I'll have to kill you too. What will it be old friend?"