*18*

After several hours and a lot of stress, Donnie's hold on the barrier wasn't exactly stable. In terms of ability, Donnie wasn't one of the more magically gifted wizards out there. He wasn't like Shae, Nor did he measure up to Vern. It was one of the main reasons he'd become a memoriser, He hadn't needed high quantities of magical talent. This lack was becoming a much bigger problem than he could have anticipated. He could hear fighting outside, lots of it and he prayed to all and any of the gods that this wouldn't become a massacre for either side. He had spent a lot of time listening to Thandre and these people outside just had a sickness that would pass. If only it didn't make them so desperate to kill others. He knew that no matter how bad he felt for them the facts were that the sickness drove people to murder and murder they had. It was self-defence, yet it didn't really feel like that.

Prebble was still keeping a close eye on Donnie. Most of the Master's had retired to their private quarters so it was just the two of them and a few of the more sensible stragglers. The fighting outside was now limited to a few skirmishes here and there, with even those infected with the sickness needing to sleep, but that didn't mean they were safe just yet. He was observing the lad and could tell the boy was nearing the edge of his limits. The lad was going to need to stop and sleep eventually, despite his obvious best efforts not to. Prebble was starting to feel a bit of respect for the boy. He did hope that Stoaks offer to kill the boy after this would be high. He didn't want to take a low bid after all the boy's efforts at that moment were aiding his department greatly. The death toll on his side was currently only at one. He knew once the barrier failed that would begin to rise. Skill was all well and good, but an angry mob was still dangerous and being that outnumbered wasn't good. 

The workers of the city might not be specially trained to fight, but a man who spends all day in a forge has strength and knows damn well he can break a jaw or some knee caps with a hammer. All it takes is a lucky swing.

Donnie was starting to look a bit pale. He felt like his head was about to cave in and his vision was filling with black spots. He didn't need anyone to tell him he'd screwed this up royally. What was he expecting to happen? He had the vague awareness that the wizards around him were watching with some apprehension, he tried to look around but that one made the room feel like his head was swimming. He fell to the cold stone the floor with a thud just as the light of dawn began to creep in through the windows.

Vern was surprised that Donnie wasn't back by that morning. Once Thandre had rested he'd bought Vern back. Shae they had all decided wasn't travelling like that again and he would lead her through the tunnels on foot. It felt incredibly strange being alone in the cabin. Looking at it he realised how incredibly strange the contents of the cabin were and he wondered just how much of Thandre's cupboards had come from outside. It was hard to find nearly all the herbs Thandre had in the halves, yet the jars were always full and The witchfather rarely left the halves. Nor did anyone seem to be delivering them. It all made him feel a bit uncomfortable like Thandre wasn't quite human. He shook his head, it was all that silly superstition surrounding creation magic. Thandre didn't really seem all that dangerous. The man looked like a faint wind would carry him away. 

Feeling strangely on edge Vern left the Cabin. He hadn't spoken much to Donnie and the wizard hadn't exactly spoken much to him either. Still, his presence would at least make the place feel better. Vern was beginning to realise that he was becoming somewhat unused to being alone. It had always seemed so natural before, but now... now things were changing. Perhaps he should make more of an effort with Donnie too. He'd heard about the guild, how everyone was raised together, like one giant family. In truth, he had been finding Donnie irritating. He had earned a place to learn from Thandre and Donnie had just stumbled into it. Now though as he got ready to search the streets, he was beginning to realise that Donnie no longer had somewhere else to go.