Chapter 1. So Much For Goodbye

Older, Alec Benjamin

Quote;

Let go and open your heart to the possibility that there is something great waiting for you.
- Iyanla Vanzant

Chapter 1.

      That was the last of it. As I stare at the room and its baren walls, I cannot help but feel nostalgic. There are so many memories tangled up in these boxes, ones that came to life when framed upon these four walls. Now, they are only meer fragments of what is left of the past.

     A chapter I feel almost hesitant to close.

     Taping the last box shut, I hoist it up and head out the room. It's not like I'll be gone forever. On breaks, it will be as if I never left.

      Upon descending the stairs, I am immediately hit with the sound of wailing. Dad. Baba has a had a hard time with the idea of me going to college. Even if it isn't far away. I remember the day I got my acceptance letter.

     Mama, Iya, threw her arms around me, causing me to gasp for air. The gentle laughter that happened to escape her as her fro tickled my cheek, almost made her death grip worth it. Almost. Baba, however, could not hold back his tears. Which led to Iya and I having to console him. Whilst Imani, my younger sister, watched on in blatant amusement.

     Before my feet could even plant themselves at the bottom of the stairs, I am engulfed in a hug. Baba's tears stain my shirt and Iya rolls her eyes. He pulls away from me, slapping a hand over his mouth.

     "I never wanted this day to come. My little girl." He weeps, dabbing at his eyes.

     "You're acting like I'm going across the country for college-"

     "You might as well be going out of the country!" He exclaims, clutching his tissue. "What if something — God forbid — happens to you? Then what? You ought to stay here with us and go to a college closer. That way we can protect you from-"

      "I'll be fine-"

       "How do you know? You're a fortune teller now?! Hear that Oba, girl don't even need college, she knows everything!"

     "Darnell." Iya says, firmly. "She made up her mind. Let the girl go! You are being dramatic. Besides, we have already started the payments and we not wasting any money."

    "Oba-"

    "Imani!" Iya hollers, tapping her foot. "You should've been down here a while ago girl, hurry up!"

    "Fine, I will take my 'drama' elsewhere,'" Baba sniffles, giving Iya a pointed look. Grabbing the box out of my hand, his teary, dark brown eyes meet mine. "I know I have been a little emotional lately."

      "A little?"

     "Hush, I just want you to know that I am proud of you. Mo nife re."

     "Mo nife re." I fan at my eyes, clearing my throat. Of all moments to say I love you, he chose now.

      Sharing one last smile at one another, he goes to open the door. We watch as Baba attempts to balance the box in his hand whilst attempting to unlock it. Iya giggles as the box nearly goes tumbling out of his hand. The reviberating sound of pounding footsteps draws my attention away from the humorous sight.