Chapter 3. No Love Lost

I Don't Wanna Watch The World End With Someone Else, Clinton Cane

Quotes;

There is a piece of my heart
That will always be yours

Chapter 3.

    "What do you have against jelly-filled donuts?" Takemi asks, licking frosting off their fingers. "It tastes great!"

    "More like disgusting. It doesn't belong in donuts."

     They roll their eyes and I take another bite into mine. The way the frosting melts into my mouth causes me to hum in delight. Reaching for a napkin, I wipe my mouth and offer Takemi one. The corners of their mouth are coated in jelly and pink frosting. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't care.

     Taking the napkin from me, they reach for another donut. "We should come here often."

     I laugh, "I think that'd be a bad idea considering how real the freshman 15 is."

    "I am not worried about a few extra pounds." Takemi slaps their stomach, "I look great."

    "You're so full of yourself."

    "You didn't deny anything."

    "Shut up."

    They chuckle and we both take a bite out of our donuts, silently chewing away. I take notice of the lavender wallpaper and the various bakery items on display. The cookies range from chocolate chip to peanut butter cookies all the way to oatmeal raisins. Their cakes have an equally vast assortment ranging from: chocolate, carrot, lemon, and my personal favorite, red velvet. The sound of the bell jingling above the door draws my attention away from the display case and settles on him. Xavier Howard.

     God, it's been a long time since we have spoken.

     Takemi waves their hand in front of my face, "Earth to Aya. Were you even listening?"

    "Honestly, no. I'm sorry, but look over your shoulder- be subtle!"

     They roll their eyes and swivel their head, straining their neck over the cluster of people who have entered the bakery. "Well damn."

     Smacking their hand, Takemi's head swivels in my direction and I glare at them. "Don't make it so obvious! What if he comes over here?"

     "Considering the fact that you stomped on his heart, I doubt it."

     "Thanks for the reminder."

     "Just saying. You dumped him before prom. Talk about a heartbreaker."

     I put my head in my heads, embarrassed. "Gee thanks."

    Takemi laughs, taking another large bite out of their donut. Drawn to the sound of laughter, my gaze unwittingly meets Xavier's. The two of us share an awkward smile. He says something to someone at a nearby table and heads in our direction. I send a sharp kick to Takemi's leg and glare at them.

     Kicking me back, they frown. "What was that for?"

     "He saw us!" I whisper, harshly. "He's coming over here."

    "Damn, I wish I had popcorn for this shit show."

    I'm going to kill them.

    "Aye, Yanna, been a long time since we spoke. How you been?"

    I stare up at him, he's done nothing but gotten even more attractive over the years. His dark complexion glows in the light and those eyes, the color of mahogany, that any girl could get lost in. I surely did. The man is fine fine.

    Clearing my throat, I force a smile on my face. "Yeah, it has been awhile. I've been good, you?"

     "I've been alright, I'm glad I get to see you again."

    "Yeah, me too."

     We stare at each other, both of us at a loss for words. There is so much that has been left unsaid between us. So much time lost. So many regrets. I can barely muster up the courage to say anything in this moment. The words 'I miss you' and 'I'm sorry' are at the tip of my tongue. Yet I cannot bring myself to say them.

     "This is the most boring interaction I have ever witnessed. I thought this was going to be interesting." Takemi blurts out, seemingly annoyed.

     I turn to glare at them and Xavier scratches the back of his neck. "I'm not tryna take up too much of your time. Just wanted to talk to you for a minute. I'll let y'all get back to what you was doing. Nice seeing you Yanna."

     He offers me a soft smile and leaves the cafe, leaving me wishing nothing more that he had stayed. I let him go in the past because I was afraid. Afraid of commitment, afraid of the closeness we had formed. I was young, I was immature, I didn't truly comprehend what love was. What it is.

    "That was awkward as hell," Takemi chuckles, taking a sip of their coffee.

     "Oh shut up."

     "Seriously though, what are you planning on doing?"

     Staring down at the donut in front of me, I shrug. My appetite has gone and my heart aches along with it. I need to fix this.

     Noticing my expression, Takemi reaches across the table and grabs my hand. "Talk to me, how do you feel about him?"

     "I still care for him."

     "Meaning?"

     "I don't know."

    They sigh, leaning back in their chair. "Well, you need to figure it out before it's too late."

    "You're making it sound like someone already has their eye on him."

    "You never know."

     Xavier was pretty popular in high school, lots of girls were interested in him. When him and I broke up, some people I thought were my friends tried talking to him. I can only imagine what it'll be like now that we're at a university. Shit.

    Wiping my hands with a napkin, I whip out my phone. Takemi moves their seat closer to mine, peering over my shoulder. Nosey. Finding his latest social media account, I send him a text, asking to meet up later tonight. I can't let him slip out my fingers, not again.

A/N

A/N

Thank you so much for reading this chapter and patiently waiting! Let me know what you guys think of the story so far. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

( ˘ ³˘)❤