Chapter 5: The Best Friends in Life

(Flashback Chapter) YAY!!😆

"Stay here and behave," DeShon told me gruffly. "I don't want you getting in trouble."

"I honestly don't give a fuck if I get in trouble," I told him truthfully.

"You'll get lynched if she finds out," he warned.

"So will you DeShon," I retorted. "And besides, she won't give a damn if we're gone."

"Watch your language young man," DeShon teased.

"Whatever," I answered. "Can I please, please, pleeeaaassse come D.D.," I begged.

"No, bud. No can do," D.D. told me straight.

"You have to stay then. I'm not staying with that devil," I said, a worried look on my face.

"Don't worry. I'll be back before she gets here," he reassure me.

"Ugh. Fine," I lied,"I'll stay."

"Good, I love you bro," he said right as he walked through the door.

Little did he know that I wasn't waiting his arrival. I watched as he turned the corner and immediately I grabbed my worn out books and faded hoodie and made my way outside. I walked a cautious 200 feet away from him keeping an eye on his every move. Then he turned his head towards me and I jumped into a bush, hoping there were no thorns. He may or may not have seen me because he paused for a moment, slightly suspicious but continued. I wondered what he was going to do that he did not want anybody to see.

Then I saw him. A man with a dark overcoat, a black fedora, and shades. I did not recognize him from anywhere in our neighborhood. He was standing just a few feet away from D.D., ready to usher him behind aa old, stone building. I followed, careful not to let anybody to see me.

It was now dark, about 9:00pm. Soon I was behind them just 10 yards away from them. I saw DeShon pull out a couple hundreds. I was puzzled about what he was going to use it for. He handed it to the mystery man who was holding a briefcase.

"Open the briefcase," DeShon ordered, "let me see what I am really getting." You could see he was tense, probably nervous from being around the man.

The man dug his hand into the overcoat. DeShon calmed a little because his body wasn't stiff anymore thinking that he was going to pull out a key for the briefcase.

As the stranger pulled his hand up from his pocket, his face seemed to change because suddenly he was smiling. Then everything fell into place right as it began to go in slow motion. I knew what was going to take place but I froze in shock. He pulled out a pistol and pulled the trigger aiming straight for D.D.'s head.

"DeShon!" I yelled but I was too late.

Author's Note: Spoiler Alert! As you may have caught on DeShon is the narrator of this chapter's brother not best friend. Nonetheless, I would like to make the emphasis that best friends are something you have to hold on to and never let go because they are ultimately one of the best things that will EVER happen to you. Because of this reason the shoutout will be dedicated to my BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

SHOUTOUT: Shoutout to Helen B. For being an awesome, spectacular, amazing, cool, and kind best friend. I hope everybody out there has a friend like her because you will be super happy. Ok, that's it for now. Toodles Noodles😎.