6

Fallon

Gray's a prick. I knew this summer was going to be tough, but I thought that the training would be the grueling part, not dealing with the asshole alpha running the place. He proved today that he definitely has it out for me. If I was smart, I would try to behave, get in his good graces. But I've never claimed that I'm smart.

At the end of our training today, we were directed to a posting of a schedule for patrols. They're throwing us right in; we've been assigned to rotations for night patrols of the six-pack's borders. Patrols are run in pairs, so they've assigned pairs of recruits to each pair of squad members running the patrols each night. I've been paired up with a trainee named Vienna, and we get to shadow Brock and Casey. Our first patrol is tonight.

After I rush through dinner, I grab a quick shower, change, and head down to the field to meet my group for patrol. It's dusk, and the training arena has taken on an eerie glow in the fading light. I spot Brock right away and make my way over to him, where he's standing with two females.

Brock's one of the five guys that runs the training camp. He looks like a young Jason Momoa, with long brown hair, tanned skin, and tattoos all over his chiseled chest and arms. He's really nice to look at, but he's tough. He pushed us to the brink yesterday with planks and squats, and his no-nonsense demeanor is all business. The two women with him are chatting, but he's just standing there silently.

I recognize one of the women as another trainee, and I'm surprised when she sticks her hand out toward me as I approach. Cautiously, I take it.

"Vienna," she introduces herself, shaking my hand and grinning. Vienna's shorter than me, though a lot of girls are. She's beautiful- exotic looking, with black hair, creamy tan skin, and dark brown eyes. She looks strong but voluptuous, with curves in all the right places.

"Fallon," I breathe, venturing a smile.

The woman beside Vienna steps forward, offering me her hand to shake next.

"Casey," she offers, and I'm immediately struck by how muscular her arms are. She's tall, too, but she's got a lot more bulk on her than I do. Her auburn hair is pulled back into two braids and a smattering of freckles dots her nose.

"Nice to meet you," I reply, tossing her a smile. "How long have you been on the squad?"

Casey grins. "Oh, I was in your shoes two years ago," she says, glancing over at Brock. "Don't let this guy intimidate you, he's a big softy."

Brock shoots Casey a scowl, then his expression softens into a smirk as he punches her arm playfully. "Don't blow my cover here, Case. We've gotta keep these guys scared."

The two of them laugh, and I'm already feeling better about this patrol arrangement. It'll be good to get to know Brock and Casey a little better and learn more about life in the squad. Vienna and I exchange glances, and I can tell she feels the same way.

"Well, we should probably head out," Casey says, and Brock gives a curt nod. The two of them start toward the gate and Vienna and I follow eagerly on their heels. We leave the squad complex and steal into the forest, ambling along at an agreeable pace.

"Everyone does patrol every third night," Casey explains as the four of us walk down a forest path. "We're all in pairs and you usually run patrol with the same partner. I've been with Brock for the past year, but I'll inherit one of you newbies at the end of the summer when Brock becomes alpha of his pack."

I cast a glance in Brock's direction, but he's focused on the path ahead. I hadn't realized that he was an alpha, but I should've guessed. I wonder which pack he's poised to take over.