Chapter 8

It's been a week since we got back to New York. Ethan lived in a penthouse--no surprise there.However, it was a beautiful place with minimal furnishings and modern interior. Floor to ceiling high windows were a signature in every room with dark hardwood floors.It felt like no one lived here, the place was practically untouched.Although there was a library with an art space, I jumped with joy when I discovered that this will be my sanctuary.

The only thing lacking was warmth--a home.

Another good thing here was Madeline, our house help. Apparently she had worked here for many years.She cooked and cleaned and exuded motherly instincts.I remember the time when I burnt my hand with coffee, she ran over with ice and asked me to be more careful. Might seem like nothing but it means a lot to me.

Ethan on the other hand barely noticed me.We had separate rooms obviously. We lived our lives just like we used to except when we had to put on a show for the office, to show people that we're in love. 

I am satisfied with this arrangement, everybody minding their own business, but sometimes when I am alone, those deep thoughts gnaw at me. Will I ever find a chance for true love? Will I have what mom and dad had? Will I have a family of my own?

Currently I was getting ready to leave for work.I was wearing my maroon pantsuit with  basic black pumps. I had a lot on my plate today.I needed to finish up 2 meetings within 4 hours and then get the everyday tasks done. If that wasn't enough tonight is also the official party for the merger announcement.Ethan and I--obviously--had to go together.

We hadn't really talked since we came back.It was like living with a stranger, considering the side of Ethan I saw in Hawaii, he was really cold now.Just like the beginning. Not like I minded, I just feel a bit lonely at times. Ava has been busy and Em was back in London for the month.

Liam and I hung out a few times and he was a really nice guy. Turns out he is younger than Ethan and wasn't obliged to join the business.His passion was photography and he travelled around the world, good for him. Zach was a fun loving guy.They were perfect for each other.Liam also introduced me to Ace, one of  Ethan's close friends.He couldn't meet me at the wedding as he left early but he was also a very polite and funny guy. Seems like Ethan is the only grumpy pants in their group.

"Have a good day, sweetie!" Madeline said as I left, "You too, Madeline!" I shot back and hurried down to the basement parking.

--*--

I was currently finishing some paperwork. Andrea was late today, I was a bit mad because she didn't inform me. She hurried in with my coffee, "I am so sorry, Ms.Evans," she shakes her head, "I mean Mrs. Carter, I had an emergency." She was shocked to see me already seated in my office.

"That's fine Andrea, just inform me beforehand.And please don't call me Mrs. Carter, I'm not comfortable with that yet." I sighed.

"Oh, okay." She nodded and left.

It was time for the 1st meeting , I got up and left for the conference room.Andrea followed behind to take notes. Despite the merger, we didn't make any major changes.Both the companies still operated from their original locations. We continued on with our individual projects with no interference unless we were assigned to. 

The day was certainly lengthy, I reached home at 5. Ava was waiting for me there, we had decided to get ready together. She still hadn't told me who she was taking her as a date, said it was a 'surprise'.

"Oh, hey! You're finally home."She jumped upon seeing me.

"Yeah, better start getting ready if we don't wanna be late." I said as I walked towards her and give her a hug.