Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

chapter four

MIA

I tug down the sleeves of my long sleeve shirt, the cotton clinging to my skin. I adjust in my seat, my jean-cladded thighs chafing against each other. I pick up the glass of Syrah, taking a sip as rich dark flavours hit my tastebuds, sensing a hint of plum and chocolate. I hum in satisfaction, taking another sip, nearly finishing half the glass before placing it back on the table.

I have always been a fan of wine, tasting subtle hints of flavours and the velvety richness coating my throat. I'm by no means a wine connoisseur, but I can appreciate a good glass of wine.

Alcohol was a taboo topic in my household growing up—especially being a woman, so naturally, I indulged when I was allowed to have it on my own. Funny how the things you're not allowed to have are the most enticing.

I glance around the table; only a few of my coworkers have shown up for dinner today as I circle the rim of my wine glass with my finger. None of my friends I work with are here yet. Vivian—the vivacious dark-haired 20-year-old that often teaches art classes with me—and Thane—my manager, who is more like a friend than my boss—have yet to make an appearance.

I roll my lips together, glancing through the menu, hoping to appear busy rather than bored as I wait for someone I know to join.

"New guy," Roy, a bulky redhead, exclaims with his arms spread wide over the head of the guy—whose name escapes me—sitting next to him. Roy works in the athletics department, in charge of the ice rink, basketball court, and soccer fields. He was the one who asked around to replace KB, who was leaving his job as a youth skate and hockey instructor.

I had told my best friend, Bailey Nicholson, about it since she hangs out with the hockey guys seeing as she's dating one, not realizing that my other best friend, Ryan Collins, was also listening in on the conversation. So, when Ryan asked me if she could give Noah my number to contact me about the job, I didn't think anything of it—merely helping a friend out.

But now, as Noah Bishop walks in wearing a pair of dark jeans fitted around his thick legs, a light grey hoodie under his oversized puffy jacket and a hat he always has a habit of wearing backwards, relief washes through me.

His dark eyes scan the length of the table before locking with mine. Surprise sweeps across his features. His chest deflates with a sigh—hopefully of relief. He reaches up to scratch his light stubble, giving me a small smile before glancing down to Roy, who stands to greet him.

"Glad you could make it, Noah." He slaps his back and gestures toward the rest of the table. Roy introduces everyone—at least the ones he could remember before someone takes over.

Noah awkwardly waves, his eyes drifting and meeting each person's gaze. "Thanks for the invite," he says stiffly. With a dip of his chin, he strolls past everyone and approaches the end of the table where I'm seated. Slipping his jacket off, he slides in next to me until his shoulders brush against mine, and a soothing earthy scent of rosewood and something masculine fills my nose.

"You get dragged to this thing too?" he inquires lowly, stuffing his jacket behind him as he peers in front of him to the drink menu.

I shake my head, welcoming the feeling of contentment to ripple through me—the discomfort from being alone and bored giving way to meeting a friend. Noah and I weren't exactly the closest of friends before; made worse when he decided to distance himself from the group after the incident at a Halloween party—where Ryan kissed him, knowing well that he likes her while she doesn't return those feelings. But we're acquaintances who keep each other company in the awkwardest of situations.

I grab my glass again, muttering against the rim, "I actually wanted to come."

His brows arch playfully, "Right! Because you seemed like you're having a fantastic time." His sarcastic tone doesn't faze me. I've come to expect it from him.

"I just didn't know anyone, so I'm glad to see you here," I smile bashfully, taking a quick sip. Unlike Ryan, who I know can't handle her alcohol well, Bailey and I have a high tolerance and don't easily get drunk from wine. So, I know I'll welcome myself to another glass or two before the night's over.

"Well, I'm glad you're here as well." The tips of his ears turn a shade of red, indicating his discomfort in revealing such a thing.

I grab the food menu, my body relaxing, my arms moving with ease, "How was your winter break?" After a moment of silence, I glance over at him. His Adam's apple bobs repeatedly; he's also gone completely still. "Noah," I place a shaky hand on his arm, jolting him out of some trance he's fallen into, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry, my break was uneventful. How was yours?" Just as he asks, a few more people make their appearance, yet Vivian and Thane are still no-shows. A waiter comes by, asking for Noah's drink. Pouring himself a glass of water while he waits for a pitcher of beer that he ordered, he glances over at me.

"Mine was good," I shrug, "Caught up with some family."

He gives me a faint smile, "That's great. Happy New Year, by the way," he holds up his glass. Chuckling, I clink my wine glass against his water one. "Happy New Year."

"Listen, I want to thank you again for helping me with this job." He huddles in closer. I don't even pay attention to the conversation around us, focusing on him like we're in our own little bubble.

I wave him off, "You don't have to thank me for that."

"No, I really do," he stares at me. Sincerity fills his warm dark eyes. There's also sadness behind them, and I remember Ryan telling me that Noah was going through something personal, in which this job was something he needed to get him through it.

I nod, "Well, then you're welcome."

A broad smile curls his lips as he glances away, "I owe you one, so any time you need something, don't hesitate to ask."

"Don't be silly, Noah." I scan the menu again, losing my place as I recount the food items that sound appealing.

"Mia," he says my name so elegantly. Like he's articulating each letter, despite it being two syllables, and I'm dazed by it as I hone in on his full pink lips. For a moment, I wonder what it would sound like for him to say my full name. It's weird because I've never wondered that of anyone.

For some reason, today of all days, I'm curious to know what it would be like for Noah to say it. It was an odd thought that came out of nowhere, and I was baffled that I wanted him, of all people, to say it. Ryan occasionally calls me Meena when she wants to call me out or embarrass me, and Bailey only does when she's trying to scold me, which rarely happens, but Noah?

I shake my head, clearing my mind of that weird thought, and stare at him.

"I'm serious. You getting me this job was a huge deal for me. So, if you need any help or a favour, don't hesitate to ask."

The seriousness of his voice startles me. Maybe this personal issue he's dealing with is much more severe than I thought. Perhaps money is a low commodity for his family—I mean, I can understand financial struggle better than most.

Either way, it seems he's gotten it into his head that he owes me a favour. I won't embarrass him further by refusing it when he so clearly wants to offer it. So, despite knowing that I'll never cash in on this favour, I nod, agreeing to this ridiculous notion that he owes me something.