Prologue

1886

It was a cold, wet autumn evening. Fog and the stench of mulch hung in the air.

Hendrik rode on his horse along the narrow footpath, almost completely overgrown by weeds.

He was quite tired after his long journey. He came all this way to Suffolk to meet with his brother.

After their mother had passed, her will declaired that they would meet and discuss the dividing of her belongings in a civil manner.

"Help! Help!" He heard the terrrified whaling and cries of a madden. A damsel in distress.

Out of the forest came a young woman. She was quite beautiful but her beauty was overshadowed by her huge silhouette. If she were not so plump, she would surely make a very agreeable wife. That is, if she could cook and clean well enough.

"Help! Please help me! There is a bear. A giant grizzly bear chasing me!" The young dame rushed over towards him. Her brown copper hair shined in the moonlight and her eyes were alight with a certain brilliance.

He immediately jump off his horse. He took a protective stance infront of her and unholster his small dagger. It was silwer with a highly detailed and intricate handle. A gift from his father to his eldest son.

"Everything will be alright. I shall protect thy," Hendrik said as his eyes scanned the rows of trees for any sight of the fawl beast.

There was a russtle in the bushes and then he saw it. One of the most mammoth creatures he had ever beheld. If it did not have the power to kill him, he would most likely worship such a creature. He truly was in awe of it.

He stood anxiously, waiting for the bear to attack. To charge. To do something. But it didn't even acknowledge their presence. How strange?

After a few minutes of the majestic animal just wandering around, it finally turned and left. Disappearing into the forest once more. Probably never to be seen again...

"Are you alright Miss?" He asked the frightened young woman behind him. He quickly inspect her, searching for any wounds. But she did not even bare a single scratch.

"Yes, thanks to you, good Sir. How can I ever repay you for saving me from that monstrous creature?" She asked staring wide eyed at him.

"No payment is necessary, Miss."

"How chivalrous of you. And please call me Cassandra," She smiled up at him, but it wasn't the shy smile he usually received from woman. No, it was quite a mischievous smile.

Hendrik was quite the sought after bachelor. Being considered handsome, wealthy and well-mannered - he was everything a young man ought to be.

"It was a pleasure to meet you Cassandra. I am Hendrik."

"Well Hendrik, I cannot let you go any further on your way, until I properly show you my gratitude and repay my debt. You look mighty tired and I speculate that you have been traveling far. My cottage is just up the path. You can rest, take a bath and eat a warm meal there," she said matter of factly.

Hendrik was tired and hungry. Plus a warm bath sounded heavenly at that moment. But no, he had to continue on.

"That all sounds lovely, but I am alright. I should really continue on."

Cassandra's smile faltered momentarily.

"I understand. But thank you in any way. My poor sister will be devastated that she could not thank my saviour herself. And she is quite the beauty. Mother always said I received the extra pounds she misplaced. And oh, she can cook and clean all day..." Cassandra went on about her sister.

Cassandra's sister intrigued Hendrik. If she was thin and half as beautiful as Cassandra, she would surely be a sight to behold.

"Perhaps I could delay my trip by a few hours. I would not want to disappoint you or your sister."

"Brilliant!" Cassandra exclaimed, before turning on her heels and heading up to her cottage.

Hendrik soon followed and felt himself captured as if in a trans by the song Cassandra was humming and quietly singing.

When they arrived at the cottage, they went straight inside, to escape from the cold air.

There was a fire burning warm and deliciously, which warmed the entire cottage. The cottage was well furnished and decorated with animal skins. Mostly grizzly bear skins, Hendrik observed.

"So where is this sister of yours?" Hendrik finally asked.

"Oh, she'll be here in a minute. She just went to collect some more firewood." She answered nonchalantly while chopping up some vegetables.

Hendrik's eyes wandered all around the cottage. There was a table and a chair, a big animal hyde rug and near the fireplace was a large pile of firewood. More than enough to last them through the night.

Suddenly he felt a unsettling feeling wash over him. They don't need any more firewood, here is plenty enough. Why would her sister go out into the cold to find more?

Unless there isn't a sister? Unless this is a trap!

Hendrik jumped up and dashed towards the door. He tried to push it open with all of his force, but it would not budge.

"Where are you going Hendrik?" Cassandra asked satisfied with the look of terror on his face.

"Stay away from me you demon. You she-devil. I know about your kind. I've heard the stories. Manguer D'homme. That's what they call you! You don't even have a sister do you?"

"Oh, dear one. Calm down. I did have a sister once, but that was long ago. And as for the stories you heard, they are all lies. But I prefer it that way." She gazed at him with a wicked smile.

"Are you denying that you are a Man Killer? That you loure men into your home and feed upon their souls, making you immortal?"

"No, I don't deny any of the above except the part about me being a Man Killer. Oh, no. I am not just a Man Killer. I am the Man Killer!" She exclaimed before she pounced on Hendrik and he became another lost soul.

Another victim to the Monguer D'homme.

A/N

Hey guys, I hope you enjoy this book. Please remember to vote and comment.

~Izzy