I Don't Mind The Darkness, It's Easy On The Eyes

A/N: So, for those who have read Thrill of the Hunt, Lex is the same person as the Lex from that book!(: 
Chapter 14: I Don't Mind The Darkness, It's Easy On The Eyes

"Anything that gets me away from him is good enough for me."

The look in Loxley's eyes as she fidgets absently with the cuffs of her jacket doesn't escape me. The hurt is unmistakable. I don't know much about her situation beyond speculation and the vague hints she's given. His name is Lex, that name doesn't sound very familiar, he saved her so she's been indebted to him, and he sets fires if she doesn't meet his expectations.

"I'm guessing you've been working for Lex for close to two years now, correct? That was around the time of the big fire. You said he saved you and you owed him. I feel like two years of servitude would more than make up for the life debt, so if you fear him so badly, why have you stayed? Better yet, why have you not killed him, because I hate to admit it, but you're not the worst assassin I've ever come across."

"It's not as clear cut as you think. There is so much more involved than you think."

"Well, I mean, you are going to either be imprisoned or executed at the end of this so you don't really have anything to lose by talking about it."

"Gee, you're so blunt." She scowls before sighing. "You're right, I suppose. Lex is-"

"Obi! Danger!"

Loxley and I turn toward the door as Mitsuhide slams it shut and presses his back to it. There's no food in sight, that's disappointing... I swear if the danger is him losing our food to a raccoon, I am going to cause him so much bodily harm. I ask what's wrong while Loxley asks about the lack of food.

"There's a guy looking for her and he knows we have her apparently."

I glance back at her to find her face pale and eyes wide.

"Tall guy with dark hair?" I ask and he nods. "How far?"

"Not very." Great...

"Loxley-" ...and she's gone. "Alright, Hide, I need you to keep him occupied while I find her."

"But-"

"No buts. Just do it."

I get to my feet and head toward the back of the cottage to the bedrooms as a door closes. She's either hiding or trying vainly to climb through one of the windows, I guarantee it. I open the door to my left and scan the room before spotting her curled up in a ball between the side table and the wall in the far corner behind the bed. I almost feel bad for her.

"I don't quite think this is the best way to go about things." I chuckle as I cross the room.

"Shut up. You two need to go save your own skins. Lex isn't one to mess with when he's angry."

"In case you haven't realized, I'm not exactly one to mess with either. My only question is if you're going to let him control your life or not. If you stand with him, you will be cut down. If you work with us, you get to live a little longer." I hold my hand out to her but she simply stares at it.

The front door slams open but I don't let my hand waver.

"We don't exactly have the most time right now. It seems our guest has arrived." I glance over at the door before looking back at her. "So, what will it be?"

A sigh escapes me as I return to the main room to find Mitsuhide failing horribly at keeping Lex occupied. He's even bleeding. I swear for a royal attendant he seems rather useless at times. I can't leave him alone for five minutes...

"It took you long enough, didn't it!?" He whines as he dodges Lex's attack.

"I'm here, aren't I?" I shrug.

"Where is she?" Lex asks as he abandons Mitsuhide's unconscious body to focus on me.

"Where is who?"

"Don't screw with me, Kid. Where is she?"

"She's in the custody of the kingdom of Clarines, why do you need to know?"

"Because you have my sister."

I don't have time to react to his answer since his sword comes crashing down toward me. That was definitely not what I expected to come out of his mouth. It's likely just a cover for why he really wants to know, considering that if he flat out admits to being her master, he would be pursued as well for capture and execution. I meet his sword with a dagger and try to force him backward. Loxley is supposed to be sneaking out of the back rooms to come through the front and take Lex by surprise while I bait him. I would have left Mitsuhide to the distracting, but she told me that even with Mitsuhide's abilities, he wouldn't be a match for Lex.

I notice Loxley enter the room behind Lex but I don't let my gaze linger enough for him to notice. She still looks incredibly pale, but there's a determination in her gaze that wasn't there before. Her hand moves to a pouch on her hip to pull out a single needle. If she can get it aimed just right, it'll be enough to drop him. I can hear the whistle as it moves through the air but I can't see it. Lex shoves me backward then reaches back to grab the needle before it can hit home.

"Ah, there you are, Sister Darling. I've been looking for you." He smirks. "Now, you have two seconds to abandon this little act of rebellion or I'll light this place up with these two inside and I'll force you to sit on your knees and watch it go up in flames."

"Leave them alone." She's trying to sound brave but I can hear the waver in her tone.

"Or what?" He chuckles.

"Leave them alone..." She trails off to look at the floor before briefly meeting my gaze. "...and I'll come with you again."

"How noble. You're protecting the men who want you dead. What I want to know is who they're working for since you claimed to have done your job disposing of the prince?"

"It appears that the prince survived the attack, Master. I do apologize."

I lunge at him while his attention is still on her, but he turns and jabs me in the chest with the hilt of his sword, knocking me to the floor. Lex crosses the room toward the door before turning back to face her.

"Let's go, Loxley."

"Yes Master..." Loxley turns to follow him but I catch a metallic glimmer hidden in her hand. 

A/N: Life update for those who care- so I recently got a promotion... well, someone in the company didn't like that and made a bogus report that got me fired. It's been a week now, and I start a new (slightly lower paying) job in the morning. I'm not sure of that scheduling yet, so bear with me as I adapt to the changes, and please keep me in your thoughts as money is tight.