Reunite

September 2nd, 2019

"Hey, mom, can I ask you something?"

Carrie Gleeson's head slowly turned to the side as she heard her son speak, having assumed that he was only there to retrieve something or to check up on her. Her deep blue eyes made contact with Morgan's, leading to a rather tense five second stare between them as she fully turned around to face him. Her skin was much paler than Morgan's, but no one could really tell if it had always been that way, or if it had turned a paler white from staying inside for far too long. 

"Yes," she replied, with a restrained light voice that almost failed to escape from her lips. Morgan walked over to his mother and sat beside her, taking the advice he had been given by looking directly into her eyes the entire time. Carrie placed a hand next to her, signaling for him to take it, but he didn't notice the gesture and continued to look at her instead. 

"Do you remember Grey Caliendo?" questioned Morgan, expecting his mother to have forgotten all about someone that she had only met once or twice. It was always Noah that would pick up Morgan from school when he didn't take a bus or walk, so Carrie didn't really know a lot of Morgan's friends, barely any in fact. The few she knew were ones that Morgan took back to the house, ones that happened to stumble into his parents' room and noticed her on the bed. She would often turn to face them, a half smile on her face, and whispered something mostly inaudible that would either creep or confuse. 

"Grey, the creative gleam on her face could not be mistaken. Cocoa curls trailing down her shoulders, light eyes that could warm a room. She doesn't need them anymore, but it supports her on the continuous journey ahead. Bare lips, close lashes, an indent in her smile; warm beige skin, met on autumn's doorstep." 

Morgan's eyes widened as she described Grey in her strange way of speaking, she had gathered all of this information in one meet, maybe two. He didn't remember if they had directly met, but now he knew that they most likely did at some point. Carrie was often just a distant observer, however, deducing things about a person by just one glance at their face or the way they uttered a single sentence. 

"Uh...yeah, that's her," clarified Morgan, still surprised that the clear features of his old friend could be kept in such pristine detail inside Carrie's mind. He wasn't too sure if he himself could describe her with that much passion and delicacy, but hearing the words from someone else truly cemented the reality of reintroduction. There was now a second school gate that took them years to find, diverging paths blocking the two from intersecting with ease. The biggest problem for Morgan was the amount of time spent apart, as Carrie's intricate description might have held little weight after more than five years. "I found her online when I was playing a game, but I'm not sure what to say...it's been like five years." 

Carrie processed Morgan's words with her usual amount of thought, staring upward without a sound or movement for an uncomfortable amount of time. When enough time had passed, Morgan placed a hand on his mother's shoulder, following the second recommendation told to him in order to get her attention again. That seemed to snap Carrie out of her private room of contemplation, bringing her eyes back to Morgan with an inkling of shame shining from each iris. 

Something inside Carrie told her that this matter was serious, her son's expression, the room's environment, it all added up together to form a cloud in front of her that couldn't be waved away with description alone. Unusual emotion flooded throughout her body and made its way toward her voice, breaking any restraints to temporarily give Morgan the loving advice he needed to go forward.