Interview With @Pepperrmint

Pepperrmint has a second sccount where she makeing book covers. Her's are really good too! Here's what she thinks about book covers!

Tell us a bit about yourself!

Alright, here goes. So I'm guessing some basic information will be okay. I'm eighteen years old and obviously as you can see I really like everything related to graphic design and digital art, and I'll be starting Uni this year with a graphic design course. Other than that, I really love music- honestly maybe even more than graphic design and I play the guitar. I'm not at all a sport person but I do watch a few sports because I enjoy it and is much more easier than actually getting yourself to work, haha. I may come off as lazy and that can a little true but when it's doing something I love very much, I work hard. For pastimes and such I love to just sketch random things and doodle or something like that. I also really like photography and cooking.

What is the importance of a book cover?

Yeah, of course book covers are important to me, even though at the moment I'm not taking any requests. I have a few reasons for it and I hope to start again soon. I love making covers for those who need them, it's something I love doing very much and since I feel like I can display my ideas better through digital art than sketching, painting etc. I always enjoy making covers.

What are some "elements" of a book cover?

Alright so the elements of a book cover. To make a book cover the request needs to be right and someone who says something like "surprise me" in their request, it's not possible to work on it. So, you could say a proper request is the first and most important element. And then comes actually starting the cover, some are easy some are tough also depending on what the person has stated. If they want a simple one or a complex one. So you accordingly need to look for suitable pictures, mostly those which don't have a copyright to them and stuff, or you could get in trouble. So the second element I think is all your sources, which include pictures, fonts, filters, etc. And then comes composing it all together to make it look right. This could take seconds or it could even take a whole day. You need to make sure the person likes it so it can't really look like you did for the sake of it. So I'll say the third element is the right composition. And finally, the finishing touches. You might want to add some extra lighting and filters, or maybe your watermark or anything else that you think is needed, but while you're sure the person will like it.

So basically there are four elements:

1. A proper resuest

2. The sources and material

3. The composition

4. Final touches

What are some good programs to use?

There aren't really any no-no's when it comes to making covers, because it's all up to you really. You keep adding, editing things until you feel like you've achieved what you want in the cover, but at the same time you need to remember and satisfy the needs of the person you're making the cover for. However there's one thing and that is, never overload a cover with elements no matter what or its going to look bad. Really, a cover is all about how it looks so that's all you have to worry about.

1. Photoshop

I'll say Adobe Photoshop is the best program when it comes to making covers, because it has everything you need to make the best and professional looking covers. Photoshop works in layers which is a very easy way to work on. This is what most graphic designers and digital artists use. You need to buy it however, and if isn't affordable for you there are very well alternatives available. I mostly use Photoshop.

2. Pixlr Editor

This is an online editor and my second favourite and I also use it a lot of times. It's has the same user interface as Photoshop and 70% similar features as Photoshop. It's basically an online Photoshop. It lacks some features however, but it's still very good.

3. PicMonkey

If you're looking for basic cover making or quick cover making, PicMonkey is very good. It isn't professional at all and is completely different compared to Photoshop and Pixlr, but still makes nice covers and graphics. You can start off with this online app to get in touch with the basics of cover making.

These are my top three cover making apps.

What are some "no-no's to making a book cover?

There aren't really any no-no's when it comes to making covers, because it's all up to you really. You keep adding, editing things until you feel like you've achieved what you want in the cover, but at the same time you need to remember and satisfy the needs of the person you're making the cover for. However there's one thing and that is, never overload a cover with elements no matter what or its going to look bad. Really, a cover is all about how it looks so that's all you have to worry about.

Anything that you would like to say to your readers and followers, before we conclude?

Something I'd like to tell my followers or people who like my covers is, keep doing what you love! Whether it's making covers yourself, or writing or anything it is that you're good at and makes you happy :)