twenty-seven

t w e n t y - s e v e n

"FUCK," REED SAID, FOR what had to be the millionth time, and then proceeded to say, "fuck, fuck, fuck — "

"Reed," Oliver said, "it's fine, just calm — "

"Don't tell me to calm down!" Reed spun on him, running panicked hands through his hair. It had started to drizzle but neither of them were ready to face the possible shitshow that might be waiting for them inside. "This is bad, this is really fucking bad, fuck, fuck — "

Oliver stepped in front of him and caught Reed's face in his hands in an attempt to cut off his frenzied pacing. To his relief, Reed didn't jerk away or snap at him to get off him, but he didn't look as if he was about to calm down anytime soon. He had started trembling again and looked as if he was struggling to keep his breathing even. Oliver could only imagine he was still feeling that restless anxiety from the weed and Brooks walking in on them only exacerbated that. Oliver needed to curb the spiralling before it escalated to an unmanageable level. He didn't think think Reed could handle another panic attack in the space of an hour.

"Breathe," Oliver commanded, looking him straight in the eye. He pressed a finger to Reed's mouth when he tried to say something. "No, it's my turn to be the bossy one. First of all, just breathe." He waited until Reed took a deep breath, and then another, before continuing. "It's going to be fine, okay? Brooks is the last person who would ever run around telling everyone what he saw. You should know, he understands better than anyone what it's like to hide something like this. It's not like it's going to be a surprise to him that you like kissing boys."

Reed glared at him half-heartedly. "I was drunk when I kissed him."

"And you were drunk the first time we kissed," Oliver reminded him. "That didn't mean you didn't like it."

"Speak for yourself. And I wasn't," Reed said, with another deep breath. The conversation seemed to be helping to distract him and Oliver was relieved that some of the tension had left his shoulders. "Drunk the first time we kissed, I mean. The roof." He raised his eyebrow in silent question. "Unless you've forgotten."

Oliver smiled. "No. I could never forget about that."

"Because it was such a traumatic event that totally ruined our friendship?"

"Well, sure," Oliver said, "but I was thinking more along the lines of it was my first kiss and I really liked it."

Reed's lips quirked up in an almost smile. He traced a finger along Oliver's knuckles and up the sensitive skin of his wrist, sending shivers down his spine. The rain had darkened Reed's hair to gold and plastered it to his temples, streaming rivulets down his face, his lips pink and parted. It would be a bad idea to kiss him again, when Adam could come down at any point wondering where they were, or Brooks could reappear (which seems highly unlikely with the way he fled the scene earlier), or even bad luck bringing Adam's parents home early for whatever reason. Reed seemed to have similar thoughts and leant back with obvious reluctance.

"What are we going to do about Brooks?"

"Why does it sound like you're planning to have him assassinated?" Oliver asked, amused.

"Well..."

"I'm going to step in before you start searching for hitmen. We'll talk to him, ask him not to say anything. Tomorrow," he said, catching Reed's wrist when he turned towards the house. "You're not doing anything tonight other than drinking some water and sleeping this high off. How do you feel now?"