fourteen

f o u r t e e n

THE GOOD NEWS was that Woodway placed third, an impressive standing that established them as a strong team considering how many teams took part in the competition. The bad news was that Hampstead placed second. Both teams easily qualified to the next round of the competition, which would be held in Birmingham in a month, but Oliver couldn't help feeling irritated that his old swim team had beat him. Ife wasn't the type to gloat, at least not verbally, but Oliver didn't miss the smug look she cast him when the teams appeared in order of how well they did on the giant electronic board. Oliver had never thought of himself as particularly competitive, but he'd never wanted to beat someone as badly as he did in that moment.

"Interesting," Reed said, at whatever he saw in Oliver's expression when the board revealed the qualifying teams. "I thought you didn't care that much about winning or losing. I thought it was just the fun of swimming."

"It is," Oliver said, not lying – he really didn't let it bother him whether he won or not – but not quite sure if that applied this time. "I'm glad we qualified and all, but Ife does my head in. Would've been nice to beat Hampstead and rub it in her smug face."

Reed looked pleased with his response. "I knew there was a bloodthirsty need to win buried deep down beneath your rational calm."

"I don't know about bloodthirsty– "

"Next time," Reed promised, looking past Oliver to Hampstead. His blue gaze seemed to drift past Ife and linger on Finley. "We'll beat them next time."

Mr Jeffries gave them the usual run-down talk he ended all their meets with and sent them off to change out with the rest of the day free to spend however they liked, granted they were back in their hotel rooms by ten. "That's a rule, not a suggestion," Jeffries added, his stern gaze lingering on Kessy and Charlie. The latter affected a look of innocence no one believed for a second, while Kessy just shrugged. "I'm letting you all roam the city on the basis of trust that will be taken away the moment even one of your breaks it. There will be appropriate punishment for anyone who thinks about breaking the curfew."

"Two weeks of detention wasn't worth it," Charlie mumbled petulantly.

"To end on a happier note, well done. You all swam well and made the school proud," Jeffries said. "Now scram. Let me enjoy my evening in peace."

It was past five, nearly six, by the time Oliver had showered and changed out. He was following the others on the way out of the sports centre and shrugging on his Woodway sports jacket, to ward off the cold chill in the air, when someone caught his arm. "Hey," Marcie smiled, falling easily in step beside him. "You swam as well as expected. Congrats on qualifying."

"You too," Oliver said. "Still the reigning champion of breaststroke, I see."

"Of course, of course. Hey, are you free tonight? Unless you're driving back tonight," Marcie said, with a glance at the kit slung over his shoulder. "I guess you don't have any reason to stay in London any longer, huh?"

"We're spending the night and driving up tomorrow morning. Too long of a journey to deal with now," Oliver said, figuring Jeffries would rather spend another night at a hotel than drive four hours late into the night. "Why? Got any plans in mind?"

"Uh, is the sky blue? You forgot who you're talking to. It's Saturday night, of courseI have plans," Marcie grinned. "A few of us are going out into town. Couple of pubs, probably a few bars, maybe end the night in a club. Nothing concrete – we're just going to get drunk and see where the night takes us. Bring along your new swimming buddies if you want. You down?"