chapter x

― ➶ ―

― ➶ ―

Tiago opened the tent flap, ducking under it and walking inside. Two heads turned to look at him as he walked over.

"T," Brenda breathed out, a smile gracing her features.

Tiago gave her a small smile, relieved that she was okay. He bent down to hug her tightly. He held her for a few moments, clenching his eyes shut. He didn't want to think about his mother anymore. He didn't want to think about his father, or his sister, he just wanted to forget everything about the past hour.

"I'm glad you're okay," Tiago murmured as he pulled away, "but I can't say I'm not surprised. How did this even happen?"

"It was Thomas," Jorge said. "He's one of the Immunes, so the other doctor here took his blood and extracted the cure from it."

Tiago frowned. "That's how this cure works? They take blood from kids?"

"Apparently WCKD is willing to pay any price to 'save humanity'," Jorge grumbled. "Sick bastards."

Tiago looked back down at Brenda. She was clutching a metal case in one hand, and Tiago knew what was inside. His face softened. She was scared. She thought she was going to die.

"You're okay now, right?" he asked gently. "Not gonna Crank out anymore?"

"Not any time soon, anyway," Brenda muttered, a tired look overtaking her features. "It's not a proper cure. It only works for a certain amount of time."

Tiago frowned again. "So how long do you have before you need more?"

Brenda shrugged. "Dunno. Doctor said maybe a few months, but it's different for everyone."

Tiago didn't miss the emptiness in her voice. His frown deepened. He wished he could help, somehow, but he knew nothing would make her feel better. She was infected, and she would be infected for the rest of her life, relying on someone else to give their blood to keep her alive. Tiago couldn't imagine what she must've been feeling.

"Do you want to sleep?" he asked her, his voice still as gentle as possible. "We can leave, if you want."

Brenda looked as if she wanted to say no, but then she must've thought better of it and nodded her head.

"Please. I just ... I need to be alone, for a while."

Tiago nodded and rose from his seat immediately. Jorge followed, and after each pressing a kiss to her forehead, they left the tent.