Bestfriends

Only Layla's part since it could stand by itself. Layla's moving on and growing up...

~

LAYLA’S POV

 The annoying buzzing sound of my phone against the wood nightstand woke me from my deep sleep. I jarred against my silk pillowcase and spots swam in front of my eyes for a moment. What time was it? People knew not to mess with me before 8 am. Hell, I had no job so I could sleep in to noon if I wanted. I really needed to fix that. 

Stretching in place and with a loud yawn, I reached over to pick up my phone. I unlocked the screen and saw I had sixteen texts and five calls from Adela and two texts from Cam. I saw that it was only 7:30. I rolled my eyes and rubbed at them. Adela’s last text was only two minutes ago and read “LAYLA CHERISE! ANSWER YOUR DAMN PHONE BEFORE I KNOCK ON YOUR DOOR.” 

After soaking in my bubble bath with a couple glasses of wine, I had curled up in bed and watched reruns of Criminal Minds while binging on some Chinese food. I fell asleep easy so I must have slept through my phone notifications. I guess my long day of truths and whooping ass had wore me out.

I laughed a bit thinking of it. With a sigh at not being able to sleep in, I dialed Adela.

 “Why haven’t you been answering your phone? Bitch, I called you at least 100 times. You better have a good reason before I beat your ass. Speaking of, why you had to lay it on Mel like that and not have me there? You know Vita was loving that she had the tea before I did!” Adela was speaking so fast I barely understood her.

 When she was mad she spoke like she forgot how to speak English. Her you’s sounded like “ju’s” and everything ran together.

“Del, please calm down, you’re giving me a headache with your accent.”

“Headache? I know you didn’t just try me like that. Open your door,” she replied and hung up.

 I looked at my phone like I had never seen it before. Open my door? I know this crazy girl didn’t…. Sure enough, there were a couple bangs on the door that could only belong to one person.

I hopped out of bed, grabbed my leopard printed silk robe, and ran to the door. I opened it and saw Adela standing there dressed in a wifebeater, olive cargo shorts and gold flip-flops. The sun was just coming up behind her but shined against her burgundy and…. blonde hair? Since when did she have blonde streaks? I just saw her yesterday.

“Del, seriously? Blonde streaks?” I asked skeptically. On anyone else it would look crazy as hell, but on Adela, they made her look a bit like a young Christina Aguilera.

“You haven’t called me but it’s my hair you’re worried about? Girl, move.” She pushed me out of the way and walked right into my house like she owned it. She was lucky she was my best friend.

I found her in my kitchen going through my refrigerator. She had pulled out the orange juice and was pouring it into two glasses.

“Thanks for making me a glass in my own house now, why are you here?”

 She sent me a mean look. “First of all, don’t act like you don’t make my closet yours when you come over. I know I’m missing many pairs of shoes. Two way street.”

 I wasn’t going to justify that statement with a response. I waved for her to continue.

 “I wanted to know what happened yesterday. All I know is you went running over to Vita’s and then later everyone is talking about how you tapped that ass. About damn time if you asked me. I just want to know why you went ghost on me.”

 Walking to the marble island at the center of the kitchen, I took the cup of juice and chugged it down. “I didn’t go ghost I just had things on my mind. I came right home after settling thing with Melanie, and kicked back for a while then fell asleep. End of story.”

“Oh. Well answer your phone next time so I don’t have to show up like an investigator gadget girlfriend. And let me be there when you get into something. You know I got your back like chiroprac-tic.” Adella sang like she was Andre 3000.

I burst out laughing. She was a damn trip but a very good friend. “Man, go somewhere. But for real, I’m good. You didn’t have to wake me up so early.” I took my glass to the sink but reached over for my cereal. Pouring myself a nice bowl, I looked up at Adella and raised the box in offering.

 “No thanks and if you had a job maybe you’d already be up. What’s up with that anyway?” She questioned and leaned over to lay her elbow on the counter.

Chewing, I thought that over. It was a while that I’d been moved out and my money wasn’t going to stay long forever. “Honestly, I’m not even sure what I want to do. I was thinking of opening Mom’s restaurant back up or something. Maybe I’ll invest in some of Cam’s companies since he does so good.” 

Growing up I had never knew what I was good at but then Malik came in the picture so I just sat back and let him give me the money. Now that I was alone, I was facing the reality of taking care of myself.

“ Really? You want to open Jenning’s BBQ back up? That’s a good idea.” Adela eyes lit up and you could see dollar signs in them. Adela was a boss when it came to business. 

“Yeah, but I want to make it more hip and bring it to the times ‘ya know? I am worrying about the cost. A bitch doesn’t want to be broke now.” 

Opening up my mom’s old restaurant was a big risk and would probably take up about half of my savings. I would get the money from selling the house but who knew how long that would take.

“Layla, I have so many ideas for you. Maybe you can make a fusion restaurant. Ooh, and the plaza with the salon is getting ready to rent one of the spots. Layla, go for, I’ll go in with you! If not, you already own 30% of the salon so you could do something there.”  Adela was so excited she was literally jumping up and down.

“Slow your roll, lil’ mama. I don’t know what the heck fusion even means and you know my percent doesn’t mean nothing, it’s your salon.” Not many knew that I had fronted Adela some of the money for her salon. That was when Malik had been making waves and wasn’t going to miss ten thousand. She’s my girl and had needed something I had.

Adela walked over to me and placed her hand over mine. “Layla, you’re the best friend I’ve ever had. When I need something you’re always there for me. When I get a dumbass idea you’re there to calm me down or help me when it blows up. You own part of the salon and I don’t care what you say, it’s ours. You need something I’m here, you ain’t even got to ask.”

A tear rolled down my face and I wiped my eyes. “Adela…”

 “Layla. Remember fifth grade? We’re friends to the end. ‘Til the wheels fall off. Now what do you need from me for the restaurant.”

She meant the time in fifth grade where we had a stupid argument and we went two weeks without speaking. We hated it and promised to be friends until the end.

I smiled. “Well… ok. But what does fusion mean?”

 She laughed and rolled her eyes. “It means two flavors mixed. Like soul food and Latin food or me and you.”

 “That’s a really good idea.” I replied. Yeah, we were going to do just fine.

_________

Okay that's it, what did you think? Do you like Adela and Layla's friendship?  

Do you have a best friend? What do you think about Adela's idea? 

 Short chapter because I have to lay the foundation. Malik's chapter is next.