Chapter Five

───────
Chapter Five: Rekindle
───────

Ethan woke me up that morning saying he was heading over to the car dealership. He'd offered me a chance to go with me and I'd obviously took it. Due to my lingering his initial plan was set back, especially after I spent an hour in the shower.

"Jacen come on." He walked in not giving me any privacy as he used the bathroom and brushed his teeth at the same time.

"Don't rush me, this is my thinking time." I said making up random reasons to stay in longer. The real reason was the showers in the dorm got cold too quick, and it seemed like the hotel had a endless supply of hot water and I wanted to relish in the fact.

"You're gonna get all wrinkled." He cut off the shower and wrapped a towel around me in less then ten seconds. It was a few seconds later I was sitting on the bathroom sink as he brushed my teeth and told me when to spit.

"You know I can do this myself?" I asked though made no move to.

"We were supposed to be out of here at nine, it's eleven. Weren't you the on freaking out yesterday?" He asked rhetorically, of course we both knew the answer but now... now I didn't want to leave as much.

"Yeah, yeah." I rolled my eyes flinching a bit when he'd started putting deodorant under my arms. I was ticklish, don't judge me!

"Why do you have no jackets?" Ethan said from the room as I kicked my legs back and forth not really paying attention to anything. I felt fine. No sadness, no anger, no guilt, but also no happiness, no joy, or excitement. I was just fine, normal if you will.

"I have like three wind breakers, they're in—"

"Found them." He appeared in front of me tossing me my shirt as he slid on my underwear and jeans.

"Ethan you're tickling me." I grumbled as he tried putting on my sock. He ignored me and moved on to my shoes, and finished with a double knot so the laces didn't come undone.

"See. That was way faster that what you were doing." He said grabbing my phone and pulling me out the door.

"If you would've done that to anyone else they would've called the cops on you." I retorted trying to keep up with his pace as he rushed us through the halls.

"Good thing I know my place then." He said with a slight grin knowing damn well he would have my stomach in knots with that simple remark.

By the time we'd hit the front entrance, I was glad Ethan dressed me comfortably. It wasn't particularly cold, but there was definitely a chill in the area.

"Do you talk with any of our high school friends? I mean... other than Charlotte of course." I asked out the blue as we crossed the parking.

"Uh, Ken reached out freshman year. He went to the navy, that's all I know. Everyone else just kind of went their separate ways." He answered easily taking my hand as we crossed the street and letting go when we'd made it back onto the sidewalk. It almost felt like he was babying me.

Though just when we'd made it to the other side, police sirens went off. We'd keep walking at first not realizing they were in fact for us, and by the time we'd realizing the guy had practically flagged us down.