Chapter Fifteen

DISCLAIMER: This chapter contains assault, violence, and drug use.

"You ready for today?" Camilla asked André before they ran out on the field to start the football game.

It was another Friday night game, this one an away game against O'Fallon High School. It was André's first game with Edwardsville, and she had heard everyone hyping up how talented he was.

"Definitely," he stated with certainty.

"Good luck, André," she said, leaning towards him and planting a kiss on his cheek.

His face heated up and an uncontrollable smile crept onto his lips, but Camilla turned away as if the gesture was nothing more than friendly. She didn't doubt some of the other cheerleaders had seen it, so Michelle would soon be fangirling, but she knew for certain that Jared had seen it. From the corner of here eye, she had caught sight of his shocked expression.

The game hadn't even started yet, and there was about to be some conflict.

The football players ran out, the crowd cheering them on, and the cheerleaders did their routine as they passed. André flashed a grin Camilla's way, but Jared didn't even look at her.

The cheerleaders went to the track in front of the visitor side and cheered as usual while the game went on. The Tigers got touchdown after touchdown, André's name being announced most times from the announcer, and the game was flying by.

During the halftime show, though, the cheer captain, Caroline, had to leave the track. Ava and another senior followed her as she left to go where Camilla assumed was the bathroom. She looked pale.

"What's wrong with Carol?" Camilla asked Meagan.

"She said she felt sick," Meagan answered. "She'd been feeling that way on the trip over here, but I guess it just got to be too much."

Camilla paused but eventually inquired, "Do you think she'll be able to stay?"

"Doubt it. Did you see how sick she looked? It's like a 20 minute drive, though, so she should be fine to leave."

Camilla nodded, deciding to push her curiosity away. To everyone else, it would appear to be concern.

Several minutes passed, and the girls finally came back. Carol was hunched over and holding her stomach, still pale but seeming more stable than before. They spoke with the coach for a bit before Carol left the stadium and the other seniors rejoined the team.

The coach approached Camilla, and she already knew what to expect. "I'm sure you heard already," the coach muttered once she was close enough, "but Carol is sick and had to leave. As the assistant captain, you're going to be in charge while she's out. That means you'll have to keep everyone in check and ensure that the teammates all leave safely after we get back."

"I understand, coach," Camilla responded. "I won't let you down."

She smiled. "I know you won't."

The rest of the game passed in what felt like seconds. Edwardsville kept scoring until the crowd on the home side was sparse. Even some people on the visitor side had left because the outcome was clear, but most stayed to cheer on the players—or rather, to cheer on André.

The game ended, 57–10, cheers erupting from Edwardsville and disappointed silence from O'Fallon.

As the football players and cheerleaders left the field, Camilla caught sight of André. She was beyond shocked by his skill. It seemed that the rumors were true: André was meant to be a football star.

She tugged on the back of his jersey to grab his attention, and when he turned around and saw her, he instantly pulled her into a hug. Camilla didn't expect it, but he started laughing, so she had to join in.