Chapter Two: October - Dahlia

"But when those leaves are stepped upon, Listen for the crackling sound." The words to the Midwinter chant were tattooed across the muscular arms of the girls. It was small and subtle, going unnoticed even under the most scrutiny. Life was fun in the Eves, for this is where we are for now. Life was especially so in the Midwinter core. This is where all the most powerful werewolves and she-wolves be raised. Depending on your core, you'd get a symbol or quote covering some part of your body. It would be revealed twenty-eight days after birth and that would depend on what your future held in store for you. The quote or symbol you got was usually associated with your subordinate core. In Midwinters case that was Autumna. "But when those leaves are stepped upon, Listen for the crackling sound." No one really knew what it actually meant. That was the same with all the quotes and symbols. They were created millions of years ago. Eventually, as time went by, no was bothered to translate and learn the complicated meanings.

One of the girls with the quotes on her arm kept looking at the gnarled dead oak building, "mortuus Quercus" that served as the meeting place for the head wolves. Anyone looking at "mortuus Quercus" as nervously as she did, would probably indicate that she was going to the human core or Earth as it was called. A rather horrid place the human core is. Its full of racism, sexism, wars, global warming, and horrible individuals crowding the overcrowded area. Life's much harder in the human core, you can die unexpectedly and go to infernum or caelum, be bullied for having small bumps on your face or be betrayed by someone you'd call your friend. As the sun showed 12 o'clock, the nervous girl hugged her friends and brushed away the falling snow from her furry ears. She started running towards mortuus Quercus, knowing if she succeeded and not have died on Earth, she'd be allowed to stay in Midwinter.

"Dalia, Dalia, Dalia," growled the head voice of mortuus Quercus. "One minute past half day, you know we have not a minute to waste away. The future of the core section is in you paws, don't let us down with any of your flaws." That was Rhyme paw, he'd only talk in riddles and rhymes making solving something out take ten times more time. Dalia unnerved by the poems of Rhyme Paw walked on towards the head of Midwinter, Autumna, Aestas, Flos and Earth cores. No head of Moon core but that was expected. This task would really change her life and all of those around her for better or for worse. She wordlessly picked up the backpack, sachet, and document from the wooden warm floor. Hugging her furry arms around herself, she stepped into the other core.

The eerie October moonlight cast her she-wolf shadow all over the forest. Any hunter passing by would lift their gun and try to aim at the foreboding shape. She looked at the moon. One of the only pieces of information passed down from generation from generations was that the moon is a liar and a fraud. Many people from this core worshiped it and eventually the Moon got given its own core. Unimportant average joes from Earth got taken to the Moon, perfected and sent them back to create mayhem and havoc in the world. Even though the vast majority the moon core died in the Great Core War, many people were able to survive it and create their own mayhem on Earth. That was what Dalia the she-wolf was scared of. She was scared of the mooners and what they'd do if they laid their hands on her. The ones that are making her do this stupid mission and leave Midwinter. Her ears swivelled left and then right; a bus was about to come. Golden hour wasn't even over. She hurried and tried to shake of her fur as she ran down the hilly plains looking for a temporary shelter till, she found the flcorwer and helped her create peace in all lands.

October, she suddenly thought. She never got to say goodbye to him. He was the one being that understood her more than she understood herself. The one being that she'd miss forever. "But when those leaves are stepped upon, Listen for the crackling sound." She understood this alright. Her heart crackled and crumbled as she let him go and flushed away all the memories, she held with him. An era without October would be hard but would have to be done to save him in the end. She turned wiped a tear down her newly smooth face. All her fur would be back in its proper place at moon down. She fingered her quote and put on the fur jacket wedged tightly inside the backpack