Chapter 3: Invitation to the Solstice - Lily

The Private School Lily went to was a mansion like building. It was the Headmistress's late Great Uncle's home which he left for her in his will. The niece of the rich man decided to turn the big house into a place of education, work, and general sadness. The copper bricks of the building would glisten with a sweet sharpness on Monday mornings. The dark oak doors would usually be closed to keep the students from escaping their prisons but were open at times or arrival and departure. There were many rooms in the building. Filled with books, computers, and interactive whiteboards to help aid the education of 350 teenage pupils. The library, art room and the cafeteria, to Lily, were the only safe spots in the treacherous place. The library was full of stories and books and had a warm feeling of bookish happiness making it a nice place for people to study and relax. Art was the best place to go to at break or during lunches. The art teacher, Ms Lucía, allowed creative geniuses to muck up the art room for their own private projects right before important lessons plus, she gave excellent advice and a hug if necessary. The cafeteria was a colourful place. Colourful in flavour, happiness and in general colour. Any other place in this horrid establishment would inflict pain, terror and make its victims run away screaming.

Lily stared up at the monstrous building. Eight hours and she'd be out of there. She'd be able to walk in the crisp Autumn woods, listen to the crackling o the leaves and look for leftover nuts and berries. Here she'd have to pretend to be what she definitely not. Normal. No one normal is able to listen to inanimate objects and feels more at home in a dark cave then with other people. She gulped and stepped inside the school.

"Lily," shrieked a high-pitched voice. "Where were you on Sunday, you promised me you'd be there for my party!" One second inside the treacherous building and she'd already have to expose some of the things she did in her free time. That was Alisha. She was the second most popular girl at school. Alisha was much nicer than her friend, the popular girl, Annabelle however, she was rather pushy, bossy and "my way or the highway" was one of the many rude things she'd say on a day-to-day basis.

"Alisha," Lily hastily replied. "I'm really sorry, I thought your party was this Friday! I assure you, when you do invite me again for any of your gatherings, I'll make sure that I'll be extra early. I'll even be there for setting up."

"Unlike most people in this school," Alisha said. "I'm rich and can most definitely afford for professionals to help me set up for stuff. Thanks for the offer Hun."

The rude girl flicked her velvety black ponytail at Lily. An overpowering smell of oranges harshly slapped the bewildered girl in the face. Alisha paused and quickly turned.

"Since you're set and ready to help me in my festivities, you can come over and help me get ready for Winter Solstice Ball, it's in a month or so." she said

Lily scrunched up her nose. Unlike most people, she enjoyed the prospect of not failing class, except for Spanish. Going for stupid dances with stupid people would not get her too far in life. Alisha looked at Lily with her soft Amber snake eyes waiting for her to reply, waiting for her to decline the invitation, waiting for her to make a fool or herself. Lily swallowed and said, "I'll try to make it for the party. If I'm not able to come, I'll text you before the ball starts."

"Good," Alisha said in a tone suggesting otherwise. "Oh, make sure you dress in winter colours and were dresses, don't want to look like a fool do we."

With that the horrid girl sauntered away. Lily shuddered. Encountering Alisha in the morning, especially a Monday one, was many of the worst ways to start of a day. None, however, were as bad Annabelle.

A steak of strawberry blond flashed in front of Lily