[2. Serious Naps]

When I arrived home that day, I knew that mom and dad were coming home late, as per usual. I stopped in front of my porch, rummaging the front pocket of my bag to search for my panda keychain. Once I found it, I quickly unlocked it and went inside. There already were two sticky notes on the glass table of the living room. Probably mom saying that I should heat up the leftover meatballs while the other one's probably my sister hastily written note saying that she's going to go to the nearest store to refill her Polaroid.

I passed the kitchen, throwing my dirty socks at the laundry basket as I went straight to my room upstairs. "Room sweet room." I said when I opened the white painted door. The walls were painted beige with sprinkles of posters here and there. I closed the open window at the far end of the room that was directly beside my unmade bed. I lazily plopped myself on the soft mattress and plugged in my earphones to the iPod. I closed my eyes, feeling the ache on my shoulders melt away along with my consciousness.

***

When I woke up, the sky was already dark. I peeked out to expect stars lighting up the sky, but of course it didn't happen. The town had already been light polluted by blinding lights sprawled around the city. I also hoped that two cars will be parked on the driveway but of course that didn't happen either. Just like the stars, their minds were already clouded by work across the sea. Wow, talk about sad shit.

There was a bowl of warm spaghetti on the table, probably heated and delivered by Ella who was now happily chatting with her friends.

You're probably wondering why my family interacts too little. Let me tell you that I didn't think my sister and I came from my parents. We were the less-outgoing ones among our family. Whenever there were big family meetings, we would just sit at the back of the room with our earbuds on. Although I was less open than Ella, she'd smile and nod whenever a family member approached us, while I didn't. Maybe that's why I never was approached by any of my family members for advice.

My brother who was already at college was a lacrosse MVP back when he was a high school student. He was loved by his peers and was as outgoing and positive thinking as my parents.

My parents were the greatest people in the universe, until their company decided that they should be factory-building supervisors and by that, I meant supervising unfinished factories abroad. So every day, either my parents are coming home late, or they're on the other side of the continent. I didn't really mind at first, since that meant that I would finally get some me time after endless nagging of my parents. But when you think about it now? Not so much. We used to spend weekends together going to the movies or eating lunch together. And now, I barely ate anything at the kitchen.

I sighed for the fiftieth time today, spinning on the black chair, opening Bill (my laptop), and ate the mushroom sauce covered spaghetti. This was always the regular for me, going home alone, taking a nap for an hour or two, take a bath, finish my homework or other stuffs, then open my laptop and browse weird shit in it until 12 a.m., wake up at seven, and go to school. Rinse, lather, and repeat.

Usually my family doesn't interrupt me unless I interrupt them. Sometimes when I'm bored, I like to waltz into my sister's room to dig her deepest and darkest secrets that is her journal. There were usually just boring entries about her and her crush that turned into a couple but sometimes there were other boring and random shit in there so I just continued reading them. It's not like I had better days than hers. Although if I wrote a journal, it would mostly contain blacklists and murderous thoughts for beehives, frogs that lay eggs from their backs, clay animations from the 70s, and other weird stuffs. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me shudder.

I decided to shrug off all the bad thoughts and continued scrolling my tumblr dashboard.

I didn't know when my eyes decided to shut down. But when I awoke, drool was pooling on the table and my back ached. I straightened my back, hearing several cracks from my backbone. My eyes adjusted to the light coming from the window because I didn't close the curtains last night.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes to look at the alarm clock that wasn't alarming anything at all even though it was already seven thirty. I blinked once, then twice, until I realized that I was thirty minutes late than usual.

And so that day, I just kind of had that symbiotic relationship with the class where I either listen to the teacher with a half-asleep state or sleep on the desk state, although it was mostly the latter. So that was the reason why I ended up in detention again. It was a minor incident and I could've got away with it, but Mrs. Periwinkle didn't like it when I said that her voice was so beautiful that it lulled me to sleep. It was a compliment, I swear.

I sighed, looking at Mr. Lugner yet again. He sighed as well, staring at his unfinished pile of paper works, leaning back on his chair. He scanned the biology lab and sighed again. We sure sigh a lot today.

"I'm not sure why you two are always here whenever I'm on guard duty." He said.

He must've been talking about how Joshua and I were here once again. "Well, sir, I'm not sure why you're on guard duty whenever we're here. Besides, it's only the second time."

"Touché." He replied, "Well, you guys do whatever you want while I drown myself in a pile of ungraded papers. But you can't step out of this classroom before five, so knock yourselves out."

After four weeks of mild observation, I concluded that Mr. Lugner was one of the nicest teacher around. He was fairly younger than the others so that might explain his laid-back attitude. Even though he can be strict when you irked him. I also heard that he wasn't stingy at giving grades. He respects the student's work and always gave us scores above the grade limit. And I was grateful.

"Well, kind Sir, I bid you luck on your quest to grade papers." I saluted him.

He gave me a lopsided grin and saluted back, sticking his nose on a book right after.

My eyes were heavy from the lack of sleep, and I didn't even have the chance to greet Joshua who was sitting at the back before I smacked headfirst on the smooth white table of the lab. As I close my eyes, I readjusted myself into a more comfortable position -as comfortable as sleeping on a table will ever be-- by putting my arm on the table to support my head from smacking it.

After awhile, I heard the sound of a chair being placed beside mine.

"Just give the girl some space to sleep, will you." I babbled.

"Okay, okay." A smooth voice chuckled. It belonged to none other than pinky boy, Joshua.

"Wake me up in thirty minutes, will you? I want to do the extra coursework Periwinkle gave me."

"Of course," He replied, "off you go to wonderland then."

"Yeah," I yawned, "off I go to sleepyland then."