[5. Serious Assignment Partners]

I wondered what it feels like to lock your gaze with your friend who you knew for your whole life, a glint in theirs and yours, when the teacher says, "We're going to do this assignment in pairs."

Pairing up had always been a dreadful task for me. It's not that I hated people (although I hate some with a burning passion. Yes, I'm talking about you, Mandy), but rather because of my lack of friends and or acquaintances.

So when Periwinkle told us to pair up, I tensed, muttering a plethora of curse words under my breath. Damn Periwinkle and her inability to assign students.

"Chop chop people, we don't have much time,"

I started scribbling feverishly on my crisp notebook, pretending to be writing the note that was written on the board when honestly, I just wanted to pass this hour without screwing up in one way or another. I glanced at the ticking clock, tapping my feet impatiently as the hand moved slowly.

Thirty more minutes, I thought.

On the corner of my peripheral vision, I saw Periwinkle count the pairs, nodding in satisfaction when she saw that most of the students were happily chatting about the project. Then her gaze landed on me, she narrowed her eyes, her nose scrunching in disgust as if I was a drop of poison inside her glass of milk.

A creepy smile was plastered on her wrinkling face when she headed towards my direction.

I sighed, tilting my head to face the other way, knowing full well that she would whip out one of her "sassy" remarks, which I would respond with something that came out of my mouth instantly. Then we'd go all out while the entire class watched silently, deciding if they could laugh or if the situation got out of hand. Until Periwinkle's face turned red in rage and embarrassment, with a point of her fingers towards the door, she'd send me to the oh-so-lovely biology lab. Rotting until five o'clock comes.

My train of thoughts was interrupted when a familiar bruised eye took the vacant space next to mine, putting his books on the table. Joshua glanced up when he caught me looking at him. The bruise in his eye just couldn't fade away, can it?

"What?" he questioned, his face calm as if I expected him to sit at the empty chair beside me. Not that I mind, though.

I merely shrugged nonchalantly, biting back a grin when I saw Periwinkle grumpily stalked back to her desk.

Ignoring the way the student body was looking at me, particularly at Joshua who was sitting beside me calmly, I slumped on my seat, sighing in relief.

"So," I started, shifting my chair forward, "What do we do now?"

"Build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at you," he deadpanned, ruffling his brown hair but sorting it out right after.

I let out a short bark of laughter, "Your references never cease to amaze me."

He burned up instantly, quickly shielding his face from sight with a textbook. "Dang, you knew about that too?" he said silently, his voice was almost drowning from the blabbing chatters and laughter surrounding us.

"Trust me, brochacho, no reference gets past me." I grinned triumphantly, flexing my almost nonexistent muscle. Thanks to my bookworm sister who blasts 1989 24/7, I added.

"Oh, we'll see about that," he said mysteriously, his lips twisting into a smirk.

****

Thankfully, the hour passed by smoothly without any verbal blood bath between Periwinkle and me. Which was awesome considering that I couldn't keep my mouth shut whenever she starts screeching like a banshee.

I was about to walk out of class when someone caught my wrist.

"Hey, uhh," He scratched the back of his neck, "do you want to finish the assignment at my place or yours?"

I blinked, momentarily confused at what assignment he was talking about until I remembered that the class hadn't finished the assignment at all, so Periwinkle was forced to make it as a homework.

"Your place," I found myself saying.

Oh, I know what you're thinking; Olivia, that's a guy's place! He could be an ax-murderer! Or he could take advantage on you and swipe your V-card.

But from what I've seen these past week, Joshua was as harmless as a baby hamster or a baby cupid minus the cupid. And besides, I don't think I would give in that easy.

I was expecting him to laugh nervously before running straight for the exit. But instead he casually placed his hands in his pockets, "Yeah, sure, cool. See you after school."

And that, my friends, was how I found myself being stuck in a room with the pug of doom. Oh look, that rhymed.

A/N

agh sorry for the short (and messy) chapter guys, i promise the next chapter'll be longer than this one. and in case you didn't get my message,

HOLY SHIZ 3.6K READS???? THAT'S EFFIN RAD! I LOVE YOU GUYS THANK YOU SO MUCH <3 <3 <3