CHAPTER 1

Chapter One: Enough
Cailah Knight

"Hello," I cleared my throat, adjusting my skirt as I tried my best to subtly, unstick my sweaty thighs from the plastic classroom seats. I crossed my legs, surveying the expressions spread across the room as I requested attention.

Eventually, the room grew silent and all eyes were finally on me as they should've been from the start. But you know how teenagers are; arrogant, disrespectful and egotistical. They believe this is their world and everyone else is nothing but a supporting character. Sometimes it pained me to know that I was born amongst such beings, but... it is what it is, I guess.

I crossed my right leg over my left and leaned forward. Parting my lips ever so slightly while making eye contact with the star of the class. None other than, Julian McLeod. With the simple return of a smug look, he did just as expected. At first he mimicked my posture, making it his own by adding in what was known as his signature "wink" for good measure.

If I could've barfed; I would've. However, for the sake of my respect for others alongside the fact that I was wearing exclusive Merch from my dad's label; I held it in. I knew tonight I would remember this moment and when I did, I would be sure to act accordingly.

"What if I told you I was a murderer?" I asked, raising my left brow ever so slightly.

"I'd laugh." He responded.

"Why would you laugh at my confession?"

"Because I know you," he pointed, "you don't have what it takes."

"I thought we all knew that we should never judge a book by its cover."

"I wouldn't necessarily call it judging a book by its cover." He sized me up before rubbing his hands together, "especially when you and I both know what's between those two covers."

I rolled my eyes as everyone in the class began to cheer him on.

"Typical." I scoffed, "How typical of a man. I should've seen this coming. You have nothing more to offer the world apart from shady comments that pertain to sex."

"Are you trying to deny the fact that I'm a scholar when it comes to the things listed on your table of contents?"

"I would never deny my past experiences." I scoffed, "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Right?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means, while you boast about your experience taking a dive into my variety of riveting, compelling, spellbinding chapters. With remorse, I remember the time I picked up the dull contents that dwell within yours. The cover page caught my eye at first of course, the description had me intrigued but the moment I opened up to page 1..."

"Oh trust me, we both know you made it way past page 1."

"Indeed, I did because I like to give every book a fair shot. You know how slow burns go," I ran my tongue over my bottom lip and flashed him a smile, displaying my perfectly straightened, white teeth. The rest of the class began to snicker, trying their best to hold their laughter in. "Nonetheless, after giving it a chance I have to admit... I was fairly disappointed. The cover alongside the description almost had me fooled. Some would call it false advertisement even."

Julian shook his head before holding it down and sighing, he turned his attention over to our teacher and with a grin she stood to her feet. "You don't have a comeback, Mr. McLeod?" She asked, tucking her grading book under her arm.

"I don't think I do." He glanced in my direction while sitting back in his seat and folding his arms.

"Like I said, once sex is off the table. You have nothing else to offer us. I just killed you at your own game, so that would make me... a murderer." I winked, before sitting back in my seat and smiling.