CHAPTER 4

Chapter Four: Puppy Love
Cailah Knight

    After dropping Lori off, I parked my car in the visitors spot of her apartment building. I, of course had a few moments of question, panic, realization before finally snapping back into the fact that I had started so I had no choice but to complete my task. The last thing I really needed was to waste time, but with the constant battle trying to find my voice amongst the noise of many in my head; it gave me no choice but to slow down for a moment and just breathe.

Once content, I opened up my instagram, scrolling through the videos I had saved in my camera roll; I decided on posting one that I had never posted. A smile crept across my face as I watched. In the video; Julian and I were at breakfast, I had outstretched my hand and he took it into his; kissing the back of it. "Such a simp." I giggled, before tagging him, removing the date stamp and then, finally posting it.

As cute as the video was, as much as those moments genuinely made me smile; it was all for a purpose.

    I climbed out of car and went around the back, taking out the duffle bag I needed more than anything else. I made sure it was locked up before I tossed my keys into the sewer next to it and proceeded towards the bus stop across the street.

I joined the line just in time before before I knew it, there came the old, creaky bus, pulling up beside us. I reached into my pocket and took out the bills I had, counting it out as I followed everyone that made their way inside. I paid my fare then grabbed a seat right next to the window.

    While it drove off a text came in, from none other than my lover.

Ju:
Reminiscing?

Me:
Yes, I miss you...

Ju:
That's different.
You already know that I miss you more though. Definitely wish that you were here with me.

Me:
You & me both.

Ju:
Even though you hate football?"

Me:
I could always read in the stands ;)

Ju:
You wouldn't be you if you didn't lol
I gotta go back but I'll call you once I get some free time.

Me:
Sounds good. I love you

Ju:
I love you more.

Me:
Oh and babe...
If my mom calls you, just cover for me. We got into a huge fight and I left. Before you panic, I am fine at the library like I said earlier, I just needed a breather without having to rush home so I told her I'm with you.

Ju:
You know I got you. we'll talk more about that later.

    I locked the screen of my phone and relaxed into my seat, trying to seem a calm as possible. As much as my anxiety was on ten, the last thing I needed was for someone else to bear witness of that. Especially not the Karen that sat directly across from me, trying to make it seem as though she was paying attention to the newspaper in her hand. The entire time however, I caught her constant glimpses, her peering over at the phone of the man who sat next to her. These were the people I had to steer clear of today.

—-

For the remainder of the ride I read a book online, to keep myself occupied. Unfortunately, it was something I had read before so my attention wasn't all the way there which quite frankly it didn't need to it. As long as I looked the part, that it all that matter.

    After forty very long minutes I finally got to my requested stop, stepping off the bus with more people than I had anticipated. We were now in the heart of the city and my intended location was a kernel that I had discovered on instagram.