CHAPTER 5

Chapter Five: Hymnal
Cailah Knight

With my puppy tucked securely in my arms I waited patiently for the bus to bring me to my stop. Unlike before it was much more packed due to the rush hour. I wasn't complaining but once again, it just made thinking a lot harder. There was the rumbling torture that went on within my mind alongside the gossiping teens, loud men, the crackhead that felt like this was an American idol audition and the announcer letting us know which stop we were approaching.

I felt like I was in the midst of a tornado, trying my best to contain my sanity. After what unfolded back at Donny's spot I was very much so on edge. I went over every last detail trying to figure out if I had done a good job at cleaning up my mess. I knew the gun would trace back to my father but with a guy like Harry under his belt, that would go away in an instance.

I didn't intend on leaving a trace whatsoever but like I mentioned, in a case like this; I saw no other way. Anything else would more of a struggle and I couldn't risk my chances.

I was prepared through, although it entailed never seeing my loved ones again; I had a way out. I wouldn't go down for any of this simply because I had strategically been playing how to get away with the perfect murder for the last seventeen years. Sacrificing everything was supposed to be my last resort however, it was so worth it.

I wouldn't be missed by my family despite their recent theatrics. The signs were in front of them this entire time but they choose to parade around me with easy "fixes", hoping it would do the trick of shutting me up. I didn't buy their sudden care for a moment, I knew better than to fall for it which is why I didn't care much about never seeing them again.

My heart did ache for Julian though, I did really love him to pieces and I knew that he loved me to his core. That man would kiss the ground that I walked on daily; if it weren't for football. In my short span of being in his presence I knew without a doubt that he was my soulmate. I needed someone just like him and he made me very aware that he felt the same.

However, I mastered the ability to detach myself. Something I had read into and have been practicing as time went on. I learned to love from a distance, this way it wouldn't deter me from my end goal. As much as I loved Julian I saw things through the perspective that I all I would do was bring him down, he had a life ahead of him, he wanted things in life. I, wanted this and just as he was out chasing his dream so was I... I just wanted peace once and for all.

Plus, I could build myself back up. I saved enough, took out every last dollar out of the back and stored it as cash over the last few years. Therefore leaving no suspicions from the bank tellers that were trained to raise a red flag whenever they saw something that looked off.

I had everything I needed in this duffle bag in terms of clothes that would last me long enough for my travel to where I needed to go, I had funds, I had a burner phone just in case along with, as you know it; weapons to keep myself safe.

I would get through this, I would get over this. All I needed was to make sure that my mission was complete. I needed to find a way to focus because this environment was doing the complete opposite.

I took in a deep breath, trying to centre my thoughts. Usually, I would be listening to music or reading a book to keep it all in but being as I had no choice but to get rid of it due to my mom's call; I had to put my therapist's suggestions to the test. As annoying as Gloria was, some of her tips did come in handy from time to time. One of which was her breathing exercises.

At first they made me feel silly, but the more I did them was the more I felt the tranquility surround me. Just a couple mor-.

"Is that a red nose?" I heard a perky voice lean over me and say.