Chapter no 16

The entire day went fine no one asked me any questions nor was that I welcomed any I don't know what they talked behind my back but at least they didn't have the audacity to come up to my face and say anything. I spend the entire day with carter and Lucas was nowhere to be found. I wondered what was wrong with me he was all right in the morning only to go into this weird phase, it was like he was my friend, my allay one minute and a complete stranger the next. there was a strange vibe that I felt but I just couldn't process it. I tried contacting him but it was of no use. finally, the school day was over carter dropped me home, mom wasn't there as usual so I went to my room and spend the entire afternoon trying to divert my mind from whatever was wrong with Lucas.

I made myself something to eat and after I was done with that, I returned to my room to complete whatever was left of my homework. I was working on my essay when I heard the front door open mom was home, I looked at the clock it was 12am I had lost track of time in my work no doubt my back hurt so bad. she came straight up offering me the meds which I convinced her that I would take just as soon as I was done with a little bit of my work which was left, I completed my work and completely forgot to take my pills and rested my head on the pillow and closed my eyes as to give my eyes some comfort after all that exertion. I felt the door open and shut to my room but I kept my eyes closed, after a few minutes I remembered that I was supposed to take my meds and the water that I was supposed to take the meds with I absentmindedly drank without the pills so I decided to go downstairs to fetch some water.

While heading down I heard some voices coming from downstairs mom was talking with someone.

"Don't worry, I've given her meds she is knocked up she won't even move for hours"

"But did you also give her those other medications for her memory to stay lost?"

"Obviously I did, you take me as a fool? I wouldn't risk it but still the doctor said these pills won't keep her that way if she doesn't take them permanently sooner or later, she will have to either go away for college or something I can't keep her a prisoner forever plus there is news of some of Nik's people been seen in the town so we can never be too cautious"

"Katherine we can't we really can't do this any longer I've waited for you for so long you said you can't take divorce because then you would lose so much of that you've built but now that he's out of the way we can have the life we so desired, we could be together"

"Joshua I too want all that but if it only was that easy, we killed Mark what if she remembers everything and then tell the police or what if Nik's men got to her first?"

Josh held Katherine by the arms and said "Kate honey listen you know what needs to be done to make sure none of this happens you wanted to kill her from the day you took her away from Nik but it was Mark who wanted to keep her alive but since now he's not the problem anymore I say we complete the task"

Katherine turned deep in her thoughts, looking at the plain wall replied "you are right Josh it's time we get done with this task and then we leave town I'll play the grieving mother for a few days to sell the story and then we leave. But we have to wait until she turns 18 because this way we get two benefits one we get rid of her and second we get the money Mark has placed for her in an insurance policy which matures when she gets 18 years and a month old so we have to wait until she turns that age then we can finish the deed"

"now that we have that sorted out let me take you out somewhere" Joshua said in a cheerful way as if they weren't just planning an assassination.

"Ahan? you have something in mind? "

"How about I take you to that restaurant you love so much?"

"But it's three hours drive"

"so what? you get ready it already is 2 am we get there and check into their hotel after a nap we can go to beach, have breakfast and enjoy a day together and don't worry you'll be back by the night to give her that dose"