Chapter One: Far From The Last

~~~Author's Note~~~

So I know that my Kageyama book isn't finished yet, but seeing as the Tokyo Olympics are going on and a portion of this story takes place during that time, I decided to go ahead and start releasing it anyway. I hope you enjoy it!

~~~

I don't know how I got here. 

One minute everything seemed so certain. I could look around and recognize everything around me, but I took a wrong turn somewhere along the way. And now...

I'm lost. 

Ok, so its not as dramatic as it sounds. My mom "suggested" I use my one free afternoon to do some cardio, and in thinking about that, I stopped paying attention to my surroundings, and now, I'm completely lost. I have no clue where I am.

I don't get out much as it is. Being a gymnast on the Olympics career track doesn't give me time to have much of a social life. My house, my school, and the gym are the only places that I ever find myself, and now I'm stuck in a foreign part of town with no idea where I was or how to get back to civilization. 

I sighed, pausing on the sidewalk and reaching up to tighten my ponytail. Just as I did so however, I felt something heavy and solid slam into my back. My whole body pitched forward, and of its own accord, my mind travelled to a fictional scenario where I was standing on the balance beam. How would I recover from this? 

Out of pure instinct I bent forward, almost bending myself completely in half as I attempted to balance out my center of gravity. I managed to steady myself, but by then the object that had plummeted into me, which apparently was a person, wrapped their hands around my hips in an attempt to keep me from falling. Not that I needed it, of course. I shot up straight at the feeling, pushing the hands off of me and whirling around to see who had run into me and was touching me in such an uncomfortable way.

I was surprised to see that I recognized them. 

The first time I saw him, I was thirteen. Even then, he wasn't any less of a powerhouse. Of course, his serve wasn't nearly as deadly, but he wasn't any less of an ace. If that wasn't enough, there was another thing that had remained consistent throughout middle school and well into high school: He always beat my brother. 

The rivalry between Torū Oikawa of Kitagawa First and Wakatoshi Ushijima was pretty well known in the middle school volleyball circle, and it was no different when they grew up to become the captains of their High School teams. Torū despised Ushijima and I never heard the end of it. But aside from my twin brother's incessant rants and the volleyball games I'd witnessed from the stands, I'd never actually had a personal encounter with the tall, intimidating boy. And yet, here I was standing face to face with him, with the sun going down, stranded in the middle of an unrecognizable area.

"Sorry." He said, his deep voice resonating in a smooth monotone. I just stared at him for a long moment, unsure of what I should stay. He stared back.

"Its fine. I'm fine," I answered, narrowing my eyes curiously at him, "You're Wakatoshi Ushijima...right?"

His face didn't change, despite the fact that a complete stranger seemed to know his name. 

"Yes. Who are you?" He questioned.

"We haven't met officially," I clarified, "But you're pretty well acquainted with my twin brother. Torū Oikawa?"

"From Aoba Johsai." He stated. I nodded. 

"From what I could tell, they gave you guys a run for your money in the interhighs last year." He narrowed his eyes at this.