Chapter Two: Don't Get To Be Both

KEY:

  Bold ~~~ = 2021 Flash Forward

Underlined ~~~ = 2012 Flash Back

Regular ~~~ = Time Skip in the same year

~~~

I dug frantically through my locker, tossing things into my gym bag. My Math teacher had kept me after school to talk about some extra credit thing, so now I was running late to Gymnastics practice which in my life...is utterly unacceptable. 

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I rolled my eyes, already knowing who it was. Regardless, I pulled it out, looking at it as I slammed my locker door shut.

Mom

Where are you? I'm already at the gym, but you're not here.

I sighed, rolling my eyes and typing out a quick response.

Sorry, one of my teachers needed to talk to me about something. I'm leaving school now.

Mom

Well get here quickly. You know how Coach Sora feels about tardiness.

I nodded, shoving my phone in my pocket again and going to break into a run, only to slam into someone. 

"My goodness, 'Miko! I just got over a sprained knee and here you are trying to tackle me in the middle of the hallway! Are you trying to end my volleyball career early?" I sighed, shaking my head.

"Ha ha, Torū, you're hilarious, so funny, but I'm late, and I have to get going like, yesterday." I stated, not even looking at him as I moved past him. 

 "Believe it or not, I don't think that the world will come to an end if your late for Gymnastics practice." He called after me. I nodded, turning around to face him and continuing to walk backwards.

"Uh-huh, try telling Mom and Coach Sora that!" I shouted. He offered me a sympathetic smile and I shrugged, turning around and turning the corner down another hallway, only to have my foot catch on something and send me falling to the ground. At that point, it was like pure instinct, as it usually was these days, and I caught myself on one hand, flipping myself over it and landing with both feet on the ground.

I looked up to look for what I had tripped over, only to see that there was a girl standing there. She had to be younger than me by at least a year. She was an incredibly pretty girl with short blonde hair and big brown eyes that stared at me in shock. My eyes travelled down to the crate of water bottles, and the Karasuno High Volleyball Club Jacket she was wearing, leaving me to presume that she was the manager of the team that Aoba Johsai was practicing against today. 

"Sorry about that." I told her, reaching up and tightening my ponytail.

"No, I'm sorry. It was my foot you tripped over." She replied nicely, tucking her blonde locks behind her ear.

"I should've been watching where I was going. I'm in kind of a hurry, because I'm running late to practice." I explained. 

"Yeah, that was some trick you just did." She replied. I smiled, shrugging in response. 

"I guess my gymnast brain just kicked in at the last second." I explained. "I'm Emiko, by the way-"

"I thought you were running late, little sister." I sighed, rolling my eyes as I looked over the girl's shoulder at Torū, who had just turned the corner and joined us, "So you don't have time to talk to your flesh and blood, but you have time to talk to some random girl in the hallway?"