✪Note on sudden inundation my poor inbox has suffered re review requests

I understand how hard it is to get honest advice on your writing to help you improve, and am flattered by these requests. BUT I just don't have the time.

I've been lucky to get some great advice from my fellow Wattpadians to help me improve my own writing. I would be the first person to admit I'm guilty of many of the faults I point out in my reviews. These faults are very hard to see in our own writing as we get too close to our own work.

Another BUT here – I had to actively hunt down that advice. I visited critiquing and C4C threads. I even offered Amazon gift cards in return for honesty on longer portions of my work. (BTW that offer is now closed :-}) I've also actively reviewed at least the first chapter of those who reviewed my work. In all the comments I left for these readers I took into account their age and experience, and the value of the advice they offered me. I then offered advice of equivalent value. If they didn't just read my first chapter (which is only one page long) and say 'that was great, voted' in order to get what they wanted, I put genuine time and effort into my comments to them.

So therefore, if you're looking for advice on your writing – your strengths, your faults, your errors, plot inconsistencies (or glowing praise) – whatever it is you are looking for, I suggest you give equal advice to your fellow Wattpadians. Be honest, but be mindful of their feelings; there is a right way and a wrong way to comment.

Basically: What you put into Wattpad is exactly what you'll get back.

And for me – it has been a heck of a lot. I believe my writing is growing stronger for it every day. I can't stress what a wonderful opportunity Wattpad is for authors.

Here are a few suggestions of the things I've found useful for getting the EXACT type of feedback I'm after.

* Start a critiquing thread – but have conditions. Tell them what you expect first, and ask them what they want in return before agreeing to comment on their work.

* Make sure you offer advice equivalent to what you're seeking.

*On the last point – make sure you suggest an equivalent length of story. It's very frustrating if you have short chapters and find out the person you agreed to do C4C with has chapters that are twelve pages long.

Also, and this can't be stated strongly enough: ALWAYS thank people who take the time to comment on your work – many of us put a great deal of time and thought into our comments. If you don't like what we have to say, you have to remember that you asked for advice. If the advice offered makes you angry – take a step back – don't do a revenge critique. That won't help anyone. Instead, take time to digest their words, and then read the comment again later. Have a look at your work and see if you can 'see' what they are pointing out. If you take constructive criticism in the spirit it was meant, you can only go from strength to strength with your writing.

I hope this helps. BTW – this is not a direct invitation or request of any kind to comment on my work and get something in return. It's just what I have learned from my time on Wattpad.

But of course – I'm always open to advice and always offer something in return. Exactly what you give me. It just might not happen straight away. Like many of you, I am TIME POOR and having trouble keeping up with the comments I have already promised others.

XD Ellem