Chapter 1

The walk home from work was scary to say the least. Dilapidated buildings and little to no light gave a post- apocalyptic feel that sent creeps down Harlow Jordan's spine.

The housing the government provided for the humans had similar vibes. During the day, it was like one big community, but at night it was like walking with a target on your back.

"I'm home, Mama, Papa," Harlow calls, dropping the keys into the bowl by the door in their small apartment.

"In the kitchen," her mom responds. Something smelled amazing. They always managed to make the most out of the little things.

"Is that my favorite?"

"Everything is your favorite, my food baby." She patted her cheek before giving a sad smile. "I thought we would try to celebrate this week. You know, before Friday."

"I'm thankful, really," she said back, wrapping her arms around the warm figure. "But save some money for you and Papa, especially if there's a chance that you can't depend on my paychecks any longer."

Mama pulled away, continuing to stir the pots on the stove. "Don't you worry about that. We are all going to be fine."

Harlow kissed her mom's cheek before walking the short distance to where her dad was reading the newspaper in an old recliner.

"Pumpkin," he greeted with a small smile that highlighted his rich and happy features, folding the paper down. "How was work today?"

She sat down on the couch with a tired sigh. "Very slow and long, but I try not to complain because the pay is decent. How is your leg today?"

He sighed, rubbing his left knee slowly, "Mama made me walk around the courtyard today, so I'm sore right now."

Papa used to have a good job in a factory before he was injured. Instead of getting him the proper help he needed, the company let him go. It was up to her to pick up the slack.

She was more than happy to do so, too. After she graduated high school at seventeen, she got a full time job. Now, at twenty, she was pleased to see her parents living relatively comfortable for being humans.

But twenty was the last year her parents could hold onto her. She was required to attend a mating ceremony for the werewolves that ruled.

Parents could send their children as early as eighteen, but she was lucky her parents waited.

They were Harlow's very best friends. She was unbelievably close to them, and there seemed to be a dark cloud hanging over their little house the past few months.

The mating ceremony was where all of the werewolves of packs near and far come together to find their soulmate, their other half. Everybody who hadn't found their mate was required to attend - even humans were required.

The pack officials and the board over the ceremony were very strict about making sure every single person showed up. To disobey would be treason, and the consequence would most likely be death of a family member.

Harlow absolutely did not want to go. If there was a chance that a sleezy werewolf was her other half, it would mean never seeing her parents again.

Not to mention all of the horror stories she had grown up hearing. Stories of rape, of torture and being nothing but a house slave. She had never heard anything but the terrible things, so how could she not expect the worst?

"Come on, guys. Let's eat dinner together," Mama called. "I even made a cake."

"A cake?" she exclaimed, walking into the kitchen where plates were already sitting on the small table. "Mama, you are really outdoing yourself."

Harlow went the drawer to grab some spoons, folding the napkins in a fancy way. Might as well go all out.

"Only the best for you," Mama smiled. "I even talked to Susie and she just so happened to have a copy of that old show you like."

Susie was a neighbor.

"No way," she cheered. "That's so fun. Thank you for making this week special. I love you."

Her mom patted her hand, setting the large pot on the table.

And for a moment, everything was okay.

----

There was no way Aspen had a mate at this point. He was thirty years old. The average Alpha met their mate around twenty.

He liked to think he was a fair leader. He was strict and maybe a bit cold at times, but he wasn't cruel. What had he done to deserve such a lonely life?

He lost his parents really young. His father's Beta took on the role of Alpha until it was his time, but with no siblings or parents, it was hard. Really hard.

Yet, the one thing that kept he going, that kept him on track was knowing he had a soulmate waiting for him.

Year after year, ceremony after ceremony, it seemed he had nothing, and it made him question everything.

If it was his destiny to be one of the few who weren't so lucky to have a mate, then how could he be a strong and fair leader?

"Again," Aspen yelled to the warrior wolves who were sparring. He was walking in and out of the pairs, and he was quite pleased.

"Did I tell you to stop?" he asked the relatively young wolf who looked like she was going to pass out.

"No, Alpha," the girl staggered on his feet.

"I know it's one of your first times training, but if you can't keep up, you aren't fit the job. Start practicing at home." He lifted his head, "That's enough for today. Go get some food and some sleep and be here at dawn for our run."

And then he was alone again, alone to his thoughts and alone in his home.

He could eat dinner with the pack, but it took a lot out of him. Envy was a nasty disease that spread like wildfire when he saw the mated couples and the young children. His heart ached.

"Benny has been asking for you," his beta, Rocco, said, jogging up to his side. "Are you sure you won't eat with us?"

Benny was his beta's young son. He was adorable and rambunctious.

"Not tonight, Rocco. I promise I'll visit Benny soon."

"We should celebrate, you know? The mating ceremony is this week, and it's always a joyful time for us. The cooks are even making-"

"Enough," Aspen cut him off, maybe a bit too harshly, and he sighed, scrubbing his face. "I'm in no mood to celebrate. Good night."